The truth about Blue tegus!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
varnyard
The truth about Blue tegus!!

The Blue tegu’s origin is scientifically unknown, however thought to be (Tupinambis merianae) by many, including myself. This would be a different local, or subspecies of the Tupinambis merianae. It is said that they can be found in Brazil, and Colombia, however there has been photos taken of them in La Pampa, as well as French Guiana. This would be an area many miles apart and would suggest a very large range. Some of the common names for the Blues are Blue Tegu, Powder Blue Tegu, Blue Albino Tegu, Albino Tegu, and Snow Tegu.

I do not agree with albinism in reptiles that require ultraviolet lighting, in my opinion this is nothing but the creation of a very cruel morph. Albinism is well known for being less tolerant to bright lights, it is torturing these animals to keep them alive. I do not have a problem with nocturnal animals, such as geckos, and snakes with the albino traits due to them lacking the need for lighting.

The Blue tegus that are available in the pet trade are not animals that I desire as a breeder, or promote as pets. They are very inbred, due to the very small gene pool that was first imported into the United States. The original animals were said to be a very small number of six hatchlings. These were imported as Tupinambis teguixin, but were found by the importer to be unlike the normal Tupinambis teguixin they were received before. This makes these animals very prone to undesirable traits, thus the albinism, toes that do not bend, over bites and under bites, also blindness has been found to be very present in these animals. For a few years now there has been very light colored albino blue tegus sold as snow tegus. The snows do not exist in this species, but rather a very light albino. There has never been any Melanistic tegus to produce this morph, it has been found when breeding these false snows that they produce albinos, rather then snows. There have never been any other Blue tegus imported into the United States except these very few; this is something to keep in mind when choosing your animal

Old 10-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
The Blue tegu’s origin is scientifically unknown, however thought to be (Tupinambis merianae) by many, including myself. This would be a different local, or subspecies of the Tupinambis merianae. It is said that they can be found in Brazil, and Colombia, however there has been photos taken of them in La Pampa, as well as French Guiana. This would be an area many miles apart and would suggest a very large range. Some of the common names for the Blues are Blue Tegu, Powder Blue Tegu, Blue Albino Tegu, Albino Tegu, and Snow Tegu.

I do not agree with albinism in reptiles that require ultraviolet lighting, in my opinion this is nothing but the creation of a very cruel morph. Albinism is well known for being less tolerant to bright lights, it is torturing these animals to keep them alive. I do not have a problem with nocturnal animals, such as geckos, and snakes with the albino traits due to them lacking the need for lighting.

The Blue tegus that are available in the pet trade are not animals that I desire as a breeder, or promote as pets. They are very inbred, due to the very small gene pool that was first imported into the United States. The original animals were said to be a very small number of six hatchlings. These were imported as Tupinambis teguixin, but were found by the importer to be unlike the normal Tupinambis teguixin they were received before. This makes these animals very prone to undesirable traits, thus the albinism, toes that do not bend, over bites and under bites, also blindness has been found to be very present in these animals. For a few years now there has been very light colored albino blue tegus sold as snow tegus. The snows do not exist in this species, but rather a very light albino. There has never been any Melanistic tegus to produce this morph, it has been found when breeding these false snows that they produce albinos, rather then snows. There have never been any other Blue tegus imported into the United States except these very few; this is something to keep in mind when choosing your animal
I agree. I think it would be very bad for albinos to have to deal with the very intense light required to house them indoors (even outside in the sun) when they are very sensitive to light. Even my albino ball only goes in the shade if I take her outside and I very rarely take her out due to the birght sun.

I had heard that snow tegus were really just a faded type of albino but so far you are the only person to ever come forward. Do they really only produce albino offspring and no snows like I've heard? I think it's terrible to ask the price difference for an albino vs a snow tegu by not actually stating they are just faded albinos. Now that you mention it, I have never seen the other half of the snow mix ever been offered for sale.

As far as blue tegus are concerned, I have seen some that look a lot like B&W ones and some that look like what you would expect a typical blue to look like. Do you think the various looks also contribute to the confusion or is it because some are working out outcross the animals and the newer offspring are not as "blue"? The last one I saw at the local shop would literally bump into things in it's enclosure but I never thought it could be blind. I just figured it was kinda clumsy.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
varnyard
No Steve, it was blind, as many others I have seen the same way. As for coming forward, who better than me? I am just tired of the breeders that know the history of them hiding the facts. Somehow they seem to think, what people don't know won't hurt them. Me on the other hand think people should know the truth and than have the choice to choose if they want an animal that might just come with many problems due to the history of inbreeding so heavy.

I just want people to understand why I do not and will not breed this species. It just goes against everything I stand for as one of the top breeders of tegus. I will continue to keep my animals pure and free from any type of inbreeding.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the high white Blues are awesome looking, I just cannot get past their history.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Mike P.
I've been out of the loop on Tegu's for a while, but last I recall was that Ron St. Pierre was the only one producing and selling the snows - Is this still correct ? - I agree with your point that albinism in an animal that also requires uv is kinda screwing with fate, but should not for the sake of those already out there, be a higher intake of a D3 supplement to perhaps assist in the functionality and development of these animals ?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P.
I've been out of the loop on Tegu's for a while, but last I recall was that Ron St. Pierre was the only one producing and selling the snows - Is this still correct ? - I agree with your point that albinism in an animal that also requires uv is kinda screwing with fate, but should not for the sake of those already out there, be a higher intake of a D3 supplement to perhaps assist in the functionality and development of these animals ?
Ask him; however, I doubt you will get a response.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Ask him; however, I doubt you will get a response.
Hell - I could not get a response from him a few years back, after multiple attempts to purchase Tegu's from him, so I'm sure I would not get a response to a question posed as such lol - Good luck Bobby

Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
varnyard
Mike, D3 is not the answer. You can overdose an animal with it, it can and will kill tegus if overdosed. This was never told, also D3 cannot be used to substitued for UV lighting. Tegus require UV, there is no way around that due to the studies I have done.

As for contact, I will not waste my time on that. The truth is out there for anyone who wants it, I just wanted everyone to know why I do not breed Blues, as well as the truth behind them.

Also, you can not have a snow in a species without having a Melanistic first. There never was any Melanistics to create this morph in tegus.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
RiversideReptiles
This is not the "truth about blue tegus". This is simply your opinion. You are certainly allowed your opinion. But please don't mislead the public into thinking that these are facts. There's a big difference between fact and opinion. As a breeder of normal, snow and albino blue tegus, I can tell you for a FACT (based on actual experience and not just "what I think" or "what someone told me") that you're wrong about many of your statements. But I'm not here to argue with you. I just happened on this post and wanted to make it clear to the public that just because you have certain opinions, that doesn't make them true.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversideReptiles
This is not the "truth about blue tegus". This is simply your opinion. You are certainly allowed your opinion. But please don't mislead the public into thinking that these are facts. There's a big difference between fact and opinion. As a breeder of normal, snow and albino blue tegus, I can tell you for a FACT (based on actual experience and not just "what I think" or "what someone told me") that you're wrong about many of your statements. But I'm not here to argue with you. I just happened on this post and wanted to make it clear to the public that just because you have certain opinions, that doesn't make them true.
IF you're a breeder of these animals, as in past tense, as in you HAVE produced them, then surely you must have pictures.

If you surely must have pictures of them you surely must be proud of them. If you are proud of them then surely you would not mind posting pictures of these normals, snows and albino blue tegus that you are a "breeder" of.

I look forward to seeing them and thank you in advance for posting them.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
RiversideReptiles
Feel free to view my web site for pics. I have nothing to hide. I've been working with blue tegus (as well as many other herps) for quite a few years and have many satisfied customers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!