The truth about Blue tegus!! - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #71
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
I'm thinking that what you say about UV benefitting lizards is correct Bobby.

I am not saying that we shouldn't do what is best for our critters, of course we should; but still I have a continuing interest about how this is played out at the cellular level and why the body recognizes one chemical formulation in a different manner than another.

Not only in reptiles, but in general, as some people say that vitamins from let's say fruits and vegetables, for people, are somehow different and better than the one-a-day vitamins in a bottle, and others take issue with this.
I will ask you this, what advice are you going to give a new keeper of a new hatchling tegu Lucille and Dan? I mean, all they need is a warm shoe box to help them digest their food, and plenty of D3 added to every meal to take the place of the proper UV lighting. Hell, then when it dies you guys can claim there must have been something wrong with the animal.

You either give them the proper care that works, or don't keep them. I have given you both the information needed and that works for the proper care of tegus. It is not the same care for turkeys or ball pythons, but for tegus. I seen first hand what substituting D3 for UV does in tegus, it does not work. The claims were proven to be false, but believe as you wish. I will not waste my time in a lost cause of proving this any farther, I have better things to do. The truth is out there if you are not blind, just open your eyes and look at it.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #72
Lucille
Bobby,
This conversation is not for me, about giving care. We've already established that we need to do what is best for our critters. And I do believe you care for your critters.
This is a scientific inquiry, out of interest in the subject.
I do not mind if you don't participate, but I really don't think exploration of fact and a request to all to see if there is more particularized information available is a waste of time.
Without freely given information and exchange of ideas, with no attached recrimination, there will be no scientific advances.
And ultimately those advances may benefit reptiles. Inquiries such as this certainly has let to scientific breakthroughs for people, the same sort of open intellectual inquiry will hopefully benefit our critters as well.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #73
varnyard
Quote:
I just thought of another interesting question: How do reptiles regulate UV so that they do not get too much?
Tegus have hides, mine go underground when they have enough basking time. If they do get too much UV, I guess we would just call that a suntan/burn I guess.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #74
varnyard
Quote:
Bobby,
This conversation is not for me, about giving care. We've already established that we need to do what is best for our critters. And I do believe you care for your critters.
This is a scientific inquiry, out of interest in the subject.
I do not mind if you don't participate, but I really don't think exploration of fact and a request to all to see if there is more particularized information available is a waste of time.
Without freely given information and exchange of ideas, with no attached recrimination, there will be no scientific advances.
And ultimately those advances may benefit reptiles. Inquiries such as this certainly has let to scientific breakthroughs for people, the same sort of open intellectual inquiry will hopefully benefit our critters as well.
I will say this one more time; D3 does not work as a substitute for proper UV lighting in tegus. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I will tell you what, go put water in your empty gas tank, and fill it up, see if it works. Then when it does not work, make the claim it was because you did not use spring water.

That is just as silly as this, it does not work, just as with the water you could use for your gas. Then someone can claim that the gas is a liquid, and must have water in it, and the water works in cows to make part of their energy they use.

Now you see my point?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #75
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I will say this one more time; D3 does not work as a substitute for proper UV lighting in tegus. I have seen it with my own eyes.
Bobby,

You seem to think I want to argue with you and it's not true. First two animals is hardly a nutritional study, it's an anecdotal observation.

Quote:
I guess you know more than a DVM, I will never understand why some people will not agree when shown to be wrong.
Know more than most who deal with reptiles? More than likely. And you know why? Because I am a DVM that has dealt with reptiles for over 20 years.

Quote:
Taking a chance of calcification of the kidneys is a much better choice Dan, then the proper lighting.
When overdosing vitamin D3 calcification of the kidneys is not my main concern, calcification of the arteries is.

Quote:
Quote:
What I believe happens with tegus though is that they are omnivorous, they eat both fruits, insects and other live prey. In captivity we want to provide them with a varied diet forgetting that with the exception of whole mice (with their liver) and liver itself are the only sources of vitamin D3.
Quote:
Wrong, way off there Dan
What part of my statement above is wrong Bobby?

Quote:
Quote:
There is thus an absolute requirement for the animals to either be dietary supplemented or have UV light to synthesize the vitamin.

That would be fine if it worked, but is does not. There is no dietary supplement for UV.
You seem to have misinterpreted what I said there. Let me explain it again, animals that do not eat preformed vitamin D3, need UV exposure to synthesize.

Quote:
How many tegus do you/have you had Dan?
How many tegus in my 40 years keeping reptiles? You mean besides keeping them in captivity, breeding them, studying their behavior in the wild and in captivity? That's a tough question to answer, ...I never kept count.

Quote:
You keep trying to reach out with your other species as examples to tegus, I will tell you what, why don't you feed your ball pythons fruit? Or give your turkeys some rats. All of these DIFFERENT animals have different requirements, to pit them together is just 110% silly.

Your information is very poor at best Dan, I don't understand why you are so stuck on giving bad info, I guess it is pride and the lack of admission when you are wrong.
With a DVM, a MS in animal nutrition (1987), and a PhD in animal nutrition (1997) I don't feel my information is very poor and silly. You have been reading quite a bit, I'll have to concede you that.

Best regards

Dan

Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #76
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Your information is very poor at best Dan, I don't understand why you are so stuck on giving bad info, I guess it is pride and the lack of admission when you are wrong.
So far, his information has been accurate and- this is the important part- comprehensive.

Where your information has been situational and targeted to a specific user group with the intention of producing a result.

His is more accurate.

Yours is more useful for someone who doesn't understand his.

I find myself oddly reminded of those television commercials for macintosh computers where people introduce themselves as "Mac" and "PC". Kind of a... "Hi, I've got a doctorate and will explain exactly what is happening physiologically using the most specific terms possible." "And I'm user friendly to help people without that educational background succeed in keeping animals alive in their homes."

Old 12-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #77
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I just thought of another interesting question: How do reptiles regulate UV so that they do not get too much?
Ohyeah... and to this, there's another answer as well.

Given a basic premise of a UV source that is not exceeding the radiation thrown off by the sun and which is not going to physically injure the animal, there isn't such a thing as "too much" when talking about D3 synthesis.

Under normal conditions the animal's body generates as much as it needs, as it needs it and there's no danger of toxicity (again working with the understanding of a normal, healthy animal removing rare and extenuating circumstaces and health conditions).

When it's being spooned in one end as a suppliment, more care needs to be taken to make sure it's being dosed out properly and to monitor the results.

The scism here between Dan and Bobby seems to be based around their slightly different perceptions of what the conversation is addressing. Everything Dan has said is factual. Everything Bobby has said is practical. Hypothetically if one were to have access to the ability to regularly analyze an animal's system in it's minutia, they could keep the calcium absorbtion and D3 levels perfectly balanced while depriving the animal of UV entirely through the use of nothing but suppliments. Practically, it's not something most owners are experienced, educated and importantly, equipped to do in their home and so allowing the animal to synthesize it's own is going to produce the best results.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #78
varnyard
Quote:
Dan: How many tegus in my 40 years keeping reptiles? You mean besides keeping them in captivity, breeding them, studying their behavior in the wild and in captivity? That's a tough question to answer, ...I never kept count.
Great, then you can screen shot your findings? You did keep books on all of that studying, correct? What part of South America did you go to? Do tell us, you studied tegus in the wild and never shared it with us Dan? Shame on you!! I take it you have pictures of them in the wild that YOU took?

And you are a DVM? I am sorry your honor, I should have bowed down or something. As the old saying goes, there are good vets and bad vets, and we all have opinions. To make the claim to substitute D3 after seeing the proof, kind of makes me want to look for a better source of divine DVM knowledge.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #79
varnyard
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UT...EhNgAAAA%40%40

When doing a search on Dan Garcia as a Veterinarian, it comes up blank, am I missing something here Dan? I am not coming up with anything on a DVM in the Midwest with that name. I figured with the 40 years you have your name would pop right up.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #80
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Great, then you can screen shot your findings? You did keep books on all of that studying, correct? What part of South America did you go to? Do tell us, you studied tegus in the wild and never shared it with us Dan? Shame on you!! I take it you have pictures of them in the wild that YOU took?

And you are a DVM? I am sorry your honor, I should have bowed down or something. As the old saying goes, there are good vets and bad vets, and we all have opinions. To make the claim to substitute D3 after seeing the proof, kind of makes me want to look for a better source of divine DVM knowledge.
Bobby, I respect your knowledge and experience and I love your passion for tegus but that was totally uncalled for. You asked for it. You pushed and pushed and finally Dan cited his credentials and his history. Maybe that will teach you not to ask a question to which do not already know the answer.

As for screen shots of his research et al, that may be pending publication and he is certainly under no obligation to produce it here. His integrity is unchallenged on this site. If he says it is so I believe him, and I believe most others do as well. Similarly, I have no reason to believe that he is fabricating his educational background. I'm certain that he could produce the necessary documentation, but in my opinion there is no need.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!