My Blood Boa is broken - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #71
crotalusadamanteus
Xposted.

Just returned from the vet, and after getting 2cc more of his blood for anaerobic culturing, and discussing things for a while, we decided to get him started on 0.5cc Piperacillan daily for the next 10-14 days. Piperacillan is pretty good stuff, and pretty expensive, but I got it free since it expired last month. It's very wide spectrum and is effective against many aerobic and anaerobic microbes, so hopefully this will do the trick, and we can avoid the PCR.

He feels good enough to have a go at the Dr though. LOL

Interesting news though. As we are talking, and he's explaining some things, he mentions, "and as you already know, Jacobson agrees with me". I'm like, oh, so he forwarded my email to you? "well, we are friends, I visit him every time I'm in FL, we talked some about it". Makes me feel even better about my vet.

More news, maybe not so good. With many of these bone "diseases" for lack of a better word, he may not ever get his tail straight again. So basically we're trying to stop it before it progresses to the rest of the spine. It may correct itself, or maybe correct just a little, or may not. Dr. also says, "if he was my snake, I'd still breed him and get those genes passed on if he's willing and able".

I wish I had his confidence about it. I'm still skeptical.

Anyway, cultures are being started, so more waiting. Best case is, we culture something that the AB's I'm using are effective against.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #72
Snakesitter
Going for a piece of someone is always a good sign.

Unless, of course, it's me. ;-)

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #73
Helenthereef
Hoping for the best, bone infections can take a while to shift, but at least if it's identified you have a starting point.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #74
crotalusadamanteus
Well, nothing cultured. This left me with numerous options, and I went with the most aggressive, because i want an answer to what's going on. So we discussed it, and decided we needed biopsy of the muscle close to the bone, and the bone itself. Send some to Northwest ZooPath for Dr. Garner to see what he can find, and just for the sake of ruling it out, send sample to Jacobson as well for IBD testing.

So, sorry to say, but best way to get enough for a sample, is to off his tail. This happened last weekend, and he's recovering and due to eat tomorrow. He lost a little over an inch of the tip, but not enough to stop him from being a boy still.

Good news though. Dr. Garner says the testing he will be doing will already reveal if IBD is causative or not, so I don't have to send samples to Jacobson as well. My Vet and I both doubt IBD is the reason, but just to say I ruled it out is reason enough to do it. Several other tests will be run as well since he has enough tissue.

Gonna be a mighty expensive hat band if he can't be fixed.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #75
Metachrosis
If it comes to the worse,Ill get ya a real nice 20X Stetson

Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #76
crotalusadamanteus
6-7/8" I prefer the pinched front outrider. HA HA

Seriously though, Dr. Garner and his staff at Zoo Path are the best in the country. If they don't find anything, nobody else will either.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #77
~Just Curious~
Poor baby... How's he holding up what with there being less of him now? I think I'd rename the poor, little nubbers boy "Stubbs".
Seriously though is he doing alright after it?

For all this I really hope you guys finally get a good, definitive answer. Also that Guku eats tomorrow.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #78
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
He lost a little over an inch of the tip, but not enough to stop him from being a boy still. .
If it's any consolation I have 2 males who have lost more than that and are certainly still able to do the deed.... and I'm sure if you introduce him carefully to your hat he'll see reason and start practicing better technique in future.....

Hope some causative (and treatable) factor will eventually be found. Sorry that you're living in such "interesting times" as the Chinese curse goes, but it's certainly fascinating to hear about.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #79
crotalusadamanteus
I'm sure he'll eat. He really hasn't shown any signs of distress from the ordeal at all. He's taking it all like a champ.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #80
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post

Sorry I haven't been around lately. Just dealing with more crap then I care to admit lately.

I'm hoping everything gets better for you soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!