5 New Boas! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Scooter1685
5 New Boas!

Hey guys!

I just received 5 new boas from Brett Kalinowsky at BKReptiles. They all arrived alive and active, and immediately began to investigate their quarantine enclosures. The 5 of them came in 2 separate cloth bags which I emptied into the quarantine enclosures before separating, which is why some of the pictures have multiple boas in a single enclosure.

I'll get some better pictures up in a week or two, once they've had a chance to calm down and get used to their new homes. These ones are pretty bad, but I had to share what I could get. After they have eaten and passed their first meal, I'll get those new pictures.

In total, I received 0.2 ph albinos (2009), 0.1 possible super hypo jungle (2011), 1.0 hypo het type1 anery, and 1.0 possible jungle (2012).
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Scooter1685
And the 0.2 ph albinos
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
mxracer4life
Nice little group you got there!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Snakesitter
Agreed -- they all look great! Do you plan to keep them together during the entire quarantine process?

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Scooter1685
Oh no. They have their own separate quarantine enclosures. I just didn't want to stick my hands into a bag of snakes, lol. Wasn't sure of their temperament, particularly after shipping. Thought I'd be safer emptying the bag into an enclosure and using a hook, just in case.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1685 View Post
Oh no. They have their own separate quarantine enclosures. I just didn't want to stick my hands into a bag of snakes, lol. Wasn't sure of their temperament, particularly after shipping. Thought I'd be safer emptying the bag into an enclosure and using a hook, just in case.
I understood your quarantine. Its all good. I have done the same thing before.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
bcr229
They're beautiful! Congrats on the pick-ups.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Scooter1685
Thanks! Just had to get into the jungles, lol. So beautiful! In a few years, hopefully they'll produce some nice looking babies.

They haven't eaten in about three weeks with shipping and all, and today all but one of them has been cruising around with head raised and tongue flicking. Based on that, I'll probably offer a small meal today or tomorrow. Most of my boas seem to pass the food within 5-6 days of eating, so hopefully in a week or so I'll have those new pics.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Snakesitter
Thumbs up -- makes total sense!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Scooter1685
Sorry for the delay in getting those new pictures up. A couple days ago, while I was washing out water dishes in my snake room, I saw a mite. I haven't encountered them for 4-5 years and kind of panicked. Spent the next 14 hours scrubbing and sterilizing every part of my snake room, including steaming the carpet and scrubbing the walls. I've been planning on breeding this year and saw the mites as a threat to that, so I may have gone a little overboard on the cleaning thing (if that's possible).

At the moment, all of my boas are on plain white paper towels so I can see how bad things really look. Seems my reaction may have been a bit stronger than necessary. I only see evidence of mites on 2 of them, and thankfully both of those are recent acquisitions that are still in quarantine. It's been a couple of days, and so far no one else is showing signs of mites. I'm not taking any chances though. Awful little things... Daily water changes, paper towel chances, and wiping down with a paper towel sprayed with mite solution.

Of course, that wiping part is exciting. Some of those new boas are sizable adults and not what I would consider tame yet. Every day's an adventure...

Anyway, once this is all cleared up they'll be ready for their pictures. No promises on how soon that will be, but probably at least a week or two before I'm confident the mites are completely gone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!