baby nicaraguan boa - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #21
kalismom3
yes. he was out of blue this afternoon when i checked him. i'm very stressed that he can't breathe well.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
Pasodama
It is likely that you may have to soak him/her.
Doing this by placing the snake in a covered plastic tub that is 1/3, to half, filled with warm water (warm, not hot nor hot-warm ... maybe something akin to a little above lukewarm) and also has plenty of wads of plain (non-patterned) paper towels in it.
Along with the water, humidity will also build up in the air portion of the tub.

- Leave the snake, in the tub, for 20-30 min, so that his/her skin (that should have shed) will become moist & loosen up.
- If tub has no small holes, allow some air in, by quickly lifting lid part way (and then closing, of course), every 10 min. or so.
- If water starts to get cold, empty some of it and replace with warm water (circulate water, with your hand, so that all water becomes warm and there are no cool spots).
- If the snake defecates, in the tub, change out the water and paper towels.
- Check on snake (while it is in tub), periodically & without lifting the lid, to ensure that the snake is doing well.
- Once 20-30 min. have gone by, manually check the snake (if he/she has not shed, already, on his/her own) to see if the skin is loose enough for manual removal. If not, close the tub lid and leave the snake, in there, for awhile longer.

It should get to a point where the skin does become moist/loose enough for manual removal. Do this (removing the skin) with wet paper towel/s (mostly from front to back).
Take extra care with the eyes. If eye caps do not come right off, just gently rub over the eye, with the wet paper towel over, and over again, until the cap/s does comes off. Start from just outside the eye and go over the entire eye to the other side of it.

Since he/she has just gotten out of the blue phase, you may want to wait, to do this (if it is even needed), until your snake has shed or attempted to shed.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 AM   #23
kalismom3
Thank you! i will start that process on the 30th. that will be 4 days clear from being in blue. he should be ready to shed. (i do that with my ratsnake because he refuses to shed ) i just really hope the old nose shed comes off. this poor young snake did not know how to rub his nose to start shedding. my husband taught him, with what we call a piece of sticky mat. i will work with gratch today and let you know thank you

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #24
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalismom3 View Post
Thank you! i will start that process on the 30th. that will be 4 days clear from being in blue. he should be ready to shed. (i do that with my ratsnake because he refuses to shed ) i just really hope the old nose shed comes off. this poor young snake did not know how to rub his nose to start shedding. my husband taught him, with what we call a piece of sticky mat. i will work with gratch today and let you know thank you
Please don't soak him until he starts to pop the shed himself. Soaking him before he pops it can actually strip oils from his skin and make it harder for him. Just keep his humidity up and leave him alone.

Once he starts to shed, if it's coming off in pieces, then you can soak him.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #25
Helenthereef
I think you have been given good advice here, and hope that soaking in a few days will do the trick. I find that running them through a normal towel after the soak allows them to rub their head against something rough enough to snag the nose skin. Just wrap him gently in the towel after he comes out of the bath, and he will probably start his shed as he noses around the folds trying to find his way out.

Re frequency of handling: I think of snakes as living on a slower time scale than us mammals - roughly one of our weeks = one snake day. So they eat and probably only really want to be handled about once a snake day (one mammalian week). Picking him up multiple times a mammalian day may feel like it's happening every half hour to him, and might be a bit much in his new strange surroundings.

It's just my fancy, but I find it helps me to try and think of things from their perspective.

All the best for his improving health soon

Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Please don't soak him until he starts to pop the shed himself. Soaking him before he pops it can actually strip oils from his skin and make it harder for him. Just keep his humidity up and leave him alone.

Once he starts to shed, if it's coming off in pieces, then you can soak him.
Agreed. Please do not do the soak until after the shedding process takes place and find that the soak is, then, needed... be it that the shed only came off in pieces, or that the shed cannot come off at all (giving the snake a "skin shriveled" appearance), etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:14 AM   #27
kalismom3
well, i checked Gratch yesterday afternoon and he had shed by himself! and he pulled a really long piece of shed out of his nasal cavity! his breathing is better. he ate 2 15 day old mice. i have his humidity at 70%.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
Pasodama
It's great news that your boa shed on its own and did well with it! Also great that he is eating.
You may have already done it but, if not, do check that he has, entirely, shed his skin and, especially, his eye caps and tip of tail. This can be done by looking at his shed skin or, of course, the snake itself.
Drop the humidity, a bit, (if you are certain that it is, currently, at 70%) and keep it somewhere from 50% to 60%. Making sure, of course, that water is available 24/7. You can raise the humidity, back up, (if needed) for the duration of your boa's next blue phase & shed.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:47 AM   #29
kalismom3
I will definitely do that! i will keep you posted. he's still a touch dehydrated but he's getting fiesty a very good sign. I thank ALL of you for your help! you guys are awesome

Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 AM   #30
Snakesitter
Congrats -- that's great news!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!