I am winning the war!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
CwnAnnwn
I am winning the war!!!

So the history.

I got jasper and garnet last year. Bcl. Garnet had a very strong feeding response but hooked trained very quickly. She has never hissed or anything aggressive behavior. Once you get her up, she is will run around until she gets in a good spot, curled up, and even go to sleep on you.

Jasper was a different story. When I opened the bag with jasper, he musked in the bag, he was snapping and biting. He would sit there hissing and hissing.

They are brother and sister.

Every time you opened the cage, it was nothing but hiss, hiss, strike, hiss.

I started to hook train him...

I fed them 10 days later, garnet eat normally. But Jasper hurled it up. I give him 15 days, started very small. He ate, got it down, and kept it down. Sightly larger prey 9 days later. Then moved him to once a week. Everything good. But nothing but hissing when I open the cage.

Fast ward today.

I open the cage, no hissing, which is normal now. I put the hook in, let him know I am not feeding. He then starts to move away. No lock up in fear?!?!? Actually running not fighting?!?!

Then I carefully pick him up, he goes right into explore mode. No hissing, no biting, no striking, no threatening.

We go into a 10 minute handling where he wonders around, explores my bed, and even curls on my arm. I then spot clean the cage and place him back in. He climbs down, then turns around and climbs back up my arm. I wanted to end it on a good note, so I got him back in.

Never had one like him. Just unreasonable defensive. But now is taming down. I never thought I would see the day!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Good for you! Kindness and persistence pays off!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Snakesitter
Well done! Regular, gentle interaction works wonders.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Nice work! Don't get discouraged if he goes back to being hissy and defensive from time to time.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Nice work! Don't get discouraged if he goes back to being hissy and defensive from time to time.
This. My Taras were hissy, nippy little things for well over a year, and while they're generally ok to handle now I'll still get greeted occasionally with a hiss.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwnAnnwn View Post
He climbs down, then turns around and climbs back up my arm.
That is awesome. What a change!

Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
CwnAnnwn
I know he will be on again and off again. But considering he would sit in the cage and hiss for minutes after just opening to check water levels, even if you left the room. To the fact that I can clean cages with out the death threats to family and friends. It is amazing.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwnAnnwn View Post
the death threats to family and friends.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
CwnAnnwn
Just filled water dishes. He did not hiss, but was willing to go rounds.

Here is a pic.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Helenthereef
At last you know he has character!

I have one snake who had what I think of as an awkward adolescence - but has settled down in adulthood and become a new snake. Hope for the same with yours - maybe he's just been slow to realise you aren't going to eat him!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!