Venomoid in/near Indiana? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #31
BlueCrowned
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
For the record, I sometimes applaud the attention that PETA brings to abuse, but they are too extreme for me to support as well.

And yes, harmless coloring of an already-domestic pet isn't the same thing as taking a wild animal, rendering it unable to survive in the wild, and keeping it as a pet. The problem is that most people are incapable of making a lifelong commitment to that animal, and what happens when they lose interest for whatever reason. People abandon domestic animals all the time "because they're moving" or their "son got bored"...with a wild animal you've modified, it can never have it's life back, it's just too late once you realize it was a bad idea after all.
Also not the issue at hand, but I see snakes on Craigslist all the time for reasons like "I don't give it enough attention" or "I don't have time for it"... I have 4 snakes and it takes me all of 30 minutes once a week to feed them and clean their cages. That's all the attention they need! They don't care if you hold them and would probably rather you didn't.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #32
Lucille
Quote:
harmless coloring
https://ca.style.yahoo.com/dog-almos...234341618.html

Caro this is in no way a criticism of your post but rather a caution to readers to double and triple check the stuff you put on your animals.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #33
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
Also not the issue at hand, but I see snakes on Craigslist all the time for reasons like "I don't give it enough attention" or "I don't have time for it"... I have 4 snakes and it takes me all of 30 minutes once a week to feed them and clean their cages. That's all the attention they need! They don't care if you hold them and would probably rather you didn't.
I know what you mean...it's almost funny...but there ARE people who really DON'T clean their snake's cages and let their snakes go hungry and without heat to digest...sadly, I've seen too many of them and taken in their animals. Maybe it's "because they didn't have time" and if that's the case, I'd much rather they find them new homes. Even if that's just an excuse & not the truth, a person with a pet they don't want is not going to take good care of it.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #34
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
https://ca.style.yahoo.com/dog-almos...234341618.html

Caro this is in no way a criticism of your post but rather a caution to readers to double and triple check the stuff you put on your animals.
Yes, I saw that already...

Old 01-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #35
Lucille
This is turning into a nice little conversation here, respectful and informative, I appreciate that.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #36
hotlips
Quote:
And I'm not sure what your definition of a good ol' boy is in this hobby, but I'll have had my first snake for a year in February, so I doubt I'm it....
I've kept lots of snakes for decades now, but I just can't be a "good ol' boy" either, sorry....

Old 01-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #37
BlueCrowned
Quote:
I know what you mean...it's almost funny...but there ARE people who really DON'T clean their snake's cages and let their snakes go hungry and without heat to digest...sadly, I've seen too many of them and taken in their animals. Maybe it's "because they didn't have time" and if that's the case, I'd much rather they find them new homes. Even if that's just an excuse & not the truth, a person with a pet they don't want is not going to take good care of it.
If you don't have time for a snake you don't have any time for any pet at all...

Old 01-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #38
BlueCrowned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
This is turning into a nice little conversation here, respectful and informative, I appreciate that.
I can admittedly get pretty heated when animal welfare is on the line, sorry about that. I feel like not enough people consider the animal as a living creature who can feel pain and fear, especially in this hobby... Reptiles are not as emotional as dogs or cats but it's clear they still have their own level of sentience even if we don't understand it from a mammalian perspective

Old 01-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #39
hotlips
Quote:
If you don't have time for a snake you don't have any time for any pet at all...
You're probably too young to remember the "pet rock" craze, but it's probably time to bring them back. They are perfect for so many...

Old 01-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #40
hotlips
Quote:
I can admittedly get pretty heated when animal welfare is on the line, sorry about that. I feel like not enough people consider the animal as a living creature who can feel pain and fear, especially in this hobby... Reptiles are not as emotional as dogs or cats but it's clear they still have their own level of sentience even if we don't understand it from a mammalian perspective
The contact cards I used to hand out seriously said "Rattlesnake spoken here". With patient observation, & even with limited interaction, it's obvious that these are not inherently malevolent creatures, that they fear the unknown and are basically shy, just trying to survive. Much like us, what they most want from life is to feel safe.

They are also nowhere near as "dumb" as most people believe, and they absolutely do learn and retain what they know. While most snakes are not very visual (meaning they don't recognize things on vision alone, but are visually attracted to motion, which may or may not be prey), it's even possible to influence a rattlesnakes mood (to either a hostile or a curious attitude) using visual cues.

While some rattlesnakes can seem quite hostile, remember that you probably aren't the first human they've met. Give them a little credit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!