info. on respitory infections...... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #21
BryonsBoas
Thanks Mike

The idea of trying to put a couple syringes of T- 50 into a 16 pound boa just doesn't sound good. The T-50 is great for BPs but when getting into the bigger animals T - 200 is the way to go.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 AM   #22
The BoidSmith
Good point.

Regards.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #23
thebiggestb
Thanks for everyones ideals

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for there ideals and the links. I greatly appreciate everybodies time. I ordered the Tylan 200. I was wonder if anyone know the dilution ratio and the dosage per pound?

Thanks again,
Brett

Old 05-31-2005, 09:54 PM   #24
The BoidSmith
Brett,

Tylan 50 has 50 mg of Tylosin per ml (or cc). Check the label on the Tylan 200 (as I never used it), but more than likely has 200 mg per cc. The dosage is 20-30 mg per lb of body weight. That would be 0.1-0.15 cc of T-200 per lb. It would have to be injected subcutaneously once daily for 6 days. Inject always in the anterior 1/3 of the body (because of the circulation system in snakes). Alternate sides from one day to the next (left and right). What's the weight of the animal you are going to dose? Just an example, if it's a 10 pounder you will be giving her 1 cc of T-200/day, which will provide 200 mg of Tylosin. If you have an insulin syringe that's simple as they contain 1 cc.

Regards,

Dan

Old 02-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #25
khood
Treatment of gravid boas?

Has anyone tried treating gravid females with tylosin and if so how were the results? I am also interested in the success rate of this drug from people that have tried it. I have a female that is gravid now and has a slight RI. I was going to just keep the temps up but would give this stuff a try if it safe.

Thanks
Kevin Hood

Old 02-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #26
The BoidSmith
Kevin,

Although I haven't tried it on gravid females I don't remember having seen any negative effects reported in the literature. On the other hand, maintaining constant high temperatures for a relatively prolonged period might affect the development of the embryos.
Regards.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #27
Mike Greathouse
Kevin,
I have used it on gravid females and not experienced any negative ramifications.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #28
khood
Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. While the temps I am maintaining are on the high end, I am not keeping her too warm to worry about problems with the developing babies. The ambient temp on warm side is about 88 degrees with the direct 'hot spot' around 90. The cooler end is in the lower 80's. She seems to stay in the middle with her head towards the warmer end. She isn't foaming at the mouth or nostrils so I will probably just keep her this way and see if she improves. She is eating fine and overall acting normally. If not I will start pumping the antibiotics. I have another female that does have a little mucous coming out of her nostrils. I will probably start the injections on her. I just bought a trio off KS and unfortunatley I got them with RI's. I don't think the person I got them from tried to me wrong by selling them this way. I think the stress of transporting them may have been the cause. Who knows. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin Hood

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!