how can i help my boa - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 AM   #61
The BoidSmith
Let me try this again:

Quote:
Maybe she had food still undigested in the stomach, which combined with less than ideal temperatures (due to the delayed shipping) resulted in her death.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:33 AM   #62
monitorman85
no thats just a crapy pic i sent him of the ball.i dont think she had any food in her stomach cuz i shipped her the day she was going to eat so i had to be atleast 5 days sense she ate.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:15 AM   #63
Junkyard
5 days? From my experience it takes a little longer before a snake fully digests and defecates.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #64
crotalusadamanteus
Gotta agree with michael. Depending on the temps kept, and health of the snake, it will take like 7-12 days. Give or take depending on the snake. That is also why many only feed every 10-14 days. Allows for a better digestion.
Your BP may have had food still in him undigested. I would say "probably".

Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #65
hhmoore
IMO, the reality lies somewhere in between. It is an acceptable enough theory that the snake would have defecated by 5 days (depending on several conditions, of course). That does not, however mean that there was nothing in the stomach. As for whether or not stomach contents at the time of shipping had anything to do with its 'death', that would depend largely on what had been fed and the conditions the snake was exposed to during shipping. I haven't had time to investigate the other thread, so it is time for me to butt out of that discussion

Old 11-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #66
crotalusadamanteus
I actually meant 7-12 days for "digestion" in the above post.
Shoulda been more clear.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 PM   #67
monitorman85
i wouldnt think some food in the stomach would kill the ball though.im not sure if he fed the ball or not cuz i told him that when i shipped him that he should give him a few days to settle in before feeding so he might not have.the boas mouthrot seems to be getting better.his mouth use to be a little swollen and the sore in his mouth was red looking but now it seems like the same color of his mouth and the swelling is going down.hes still blowing bubbles here and there though.and making hissing sounds but as long as i got my temps up how they are now cool side 85 and warm side 95 i think he will be better in a week or so.i proble already know the answer to this but do snakes teeth grow back when they fall out or what i was just wondering cuz he has lost 2 teeth sense i have had him.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #68
The BoidSmith
Quote:
i wouldnt think some food in the stomach would kill the ball though.im not sure if he fed the ball or not cuz i told him that when i shipped him that he should give him a few days to settle in before feeding so he might not have.

What was meant was that if you fed 5 days before shipping what could’ve killed the ball was the partially digested feed in the stomach, combined with the low temps due to the delay in shipping USPS. In my opinion the death was not likely Mike’s fault, unless he was keeping the python under sub-optimal ambient temperatures.

Quote:
, not that the boas mouthrot seems to be getting better.his mouth use to be a little swollen and the sore in his mouth was red looking but now it seems like the same color of his mouth and the swelling is going down.
Glad to hear that.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #69
monitorman85
i had a question im using cypress mulch and was wondering if this is ok i have heard that it is and i have heard that it isnt i was just wondering what you guys think of it.i was usng newspaper but i ran out so i was using cypress til i get some more.i checked my temps again and they went up a little was wondering if coolside 90.4 and warm side 91.4 these will be ok sense he has a RI i figured that this would help him out to get over it faster.also i have the humidity down to 52% and was wondering if i should lower it more to lke 40 or so.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 PM   #70
The BoidSmith
Having a one degree difference is probably the same as having no gradient at all. As far as the substrate goes, I would stay with newspaper at least until the mouth rot and the URI clear. Nothing against the mulch but in my opinion the less organic matter particles you have around, and the more often you can replace the paper the better. She needs to be "squeeky clean" if you want the condition to improve, and I don't know if you can replace the cypress as often as it needs to be done.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!