ZooMed's reptile business slithers along - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
old guy
I can see that some

of you folks have never owned a retail store and it's not " bilking " the public ! It's called the wheel of profit margin and retail ( in this case the Pet Store ) does not make that 400 %, 300 % or even sometimes that 200% profit that sooo many un-informed people thinks. I,ve defended retail stores in the past as to owning several on what goes into or not into profit. Anybody that has been in business KNOWS what i'm talking about.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Junkyard
I see nothing wrong with owning a store and selling such products and animals for a profit. This is a great country to do just that.

Some people cannot always pay for the products/animals at such a high price. Those that have a lot of animals do not see the need to spend that kind of price on so many animals. I can just as easily get a dog at a shelter as I can from a pet store. The difference is hundreds of dollars. Why buy a hundred coconut hides when I have 4 inch cardboard tubing I can get for free? Why buy rodent feed at $2 a pound when I can buy it at a feed store for $1 at 2.5 pounds? Those who only have one or two snakes can buy frozen rodents and the cost is not such a big deal, yet when they need 100 frozen rodents at once, it is cheaper to breed them. A lot of products can be easily compensated with something around the house.

There is nothing wrong with ZooMed making money off of consumers, even if it by selling a lot of little fake plants, pine wood hides, sand, bark, and lighting. I do not condemn their efforts. If someone likes the look of a coconut hide over a toilet paper roll, so be it, it is their own preference.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
Clay Davenport
I'm not accusing them of "bilking the public". There's nothing at all ethically or morally wrong with what they are doing. They are not taking advantage of their customers per se, although I think I inadvertantly implied that, they are taking advantage of the situation of the customers inexperience.
I know one pet shop here that does have an extreme markup, 3-400% average on animals (reptiles at least, I know their wholesaler) and according to the manager at least 100% markup on most goods. For instance I sold them some normal banded cal kings years ago for $20 each and they put them out for sale at $129. Markup does not directly translate into profit though, they also have to pay around 3 grand a month just in rent on the retail location aside from the other overhead (small shop but it's in a big mall), so I'm glad they can make enough money to remain open.
However my point is if it weren't for the general lack of experience and knowledge of their primary customer base, they would close in no time. I don't hold any contempt for a pet store making the most profit they can, heck I'd sell normal cal king hatchlings for $129 all day if I could only find people to buy them.
Its the nature of business period. I have the time and ability to do a full service on my Harley so I don't pay the dealership $200 to put $50 worth of fluids and filters in. At the same time many people do not service their bikes. The service department at the dealership depends on the lack of time and/or ability of their customers to do things for themselves.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
old guy
With our " wholesale and never pay retail again "

mentality, it's hard for some retail businesses to make it these days. Understand I do not condemn the Wal-Marts, the Big Lots, the Wholesale outlet stores, the on-line sales. All of this is the norm now. There is a place for them as well as retail. Now if one wants to really look at the wheel of profit as far as retail, look no farther than your ringed finger or your wist of that watch. Maybe even in that pretty necklace. Maybe that precious metal you are stocking up on ! Talking about a profit of margin ! ? How about anywheres of 600 % to 800%. LOL !

Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #15
Junkyard
No metal on me. There may be in my head, but that has yet to be confirmed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!