sunglow genetics question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
ericfire
sunglow genetics question

if i breed sunglow to albino do i get all albino and sunglow or do i get some normals in there somewhere

question #2 if i breed sunglow to sunglow do i get albinos, sunglows, and super sunglows
or is supersunglow impossible
this is a delema i will be facing this breeding season and need to clarify the possiblilities in order to make breeding decisions
thanks for the help anyone
Eric

Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Boa4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfire
if i breed sunglow to albino do i get all albino and sunglow or do i get some normals in there somewhere

question #2 if i breed sunglow to sunglow do i get albinos, sunglows, and super sunglows
or is supersunglow impossible
this is a delema i will be facing this breeding season and need to clarify the possiblilities in order to make breeding decisions
thanks for the help anyone
Eric
#1 No, you will not get any normals when breeding a Sunglow to an Albino.

#2 You are correct and a Supersunglow is an albino Supersalmon(or Superhypo if you prefer), so it is possible.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Alex is correct.
A sunglow is an albino also. Albino x albino = lots of albinos. But not really recommended.

The other combo also would be an albino x albino breeding, they just both have the hypo gene as well. It would produce all sunglows, (in theory) with some being super or double dose.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
heathn
If the sunglows that you are breeding are not supers, then you will have 25% albino and 75% sunglow. The sunglows will then be 33% possible supers. If one of the breeders is a super then all will be sunglows and 50% possible super.
AlbinoXsunglow will produce 50/50. If the sunglow is a super (super hypo) then all will be sunglows. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
I understood Salmon to Salmon = ALL Salmon, +/- half Homozygous. Maybe you are correct though.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
heathn
It would work the same as a het albino x het albino, only the hets are visual.
Say, for instance, H=hypo and N= normal. HN x HN would give 25% HH, 50% HN, and 25% NN. If one was a super then all would be hypo and half would be supers.

I gotta take an aspirin now, lol.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Yup, sounds about right. Don't know what I wasn't thinking

Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
Paul Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathn
It would work the same as a het albino x het albino, only the hets are visual.
Say, for instance, H=hypo and N= normal. HN x HN would give 25% HH, 50% HN, and 25% NN. If one was a super then all would be hypo and half would be supers.

I gotta take an aspirin now, lol.

I dont think thats quite how it works. Hypomelanism is a co-dominant gene. If you had hypo x hypo you would end up with ALL hypo with 50%(ish) being SUPER (dominant) hypos. No normals.

If you hypo x normal you'd end up with 50%(ish) hypos, 50% normals

So for the original question of sunglow x albino. The albino gene is recessive. But since bothe parents are homozygous (visual) for albino you will have all albinos 50% of with will be sunglows.

None of this is exact by he way and the actual results can vary.

By the way albino x albino breeding is not a real good idea. Its been known to produce defects.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Paul Kent
Forgot the other question.

Breeding sunglow x sunglow will give you ALL sunglows, 50% of with will be super (dominant).

And by the way Rich, you had it right.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
ericfire
actually i beleive using the sqares you would get a quarter normal from hypo to hypo

--- H -- N

H - HH HN

N - HN NN
because normal hypos have a normal gene in them then there is a quarter chance of getting a normal with each snake ,50 percent chance normal hypo and a quarter super

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!