Painted Turtle needs help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
herp_novice
Question Painted Turtle needs help

Hello all,
My g/f brought home a painted turtle from the school she works at. We have had her a while now. My question involves her shell. The easiest way that I can explain what is happening to her is the plates on her shell look much like when your tiles in your bathroom peel back when they get wet. This has been going on for a month or so. Her appitite and activity levels have not changed at all, but it worries me. I have pH'ed her water and I have her under UV 24/7 ( a 5% bulb). I don't know if this is normal or not. I am a snake guy -- I have no turtle experience! So if you can help her it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 11-08-2003, 11:33 PM   #2
trisha
Shedding

It sounds like your paint turtle is shedding it's scutes. When they out grown their skin and shell, they will shed them. When they shed the skin, it looks like cobwebs on the turtles shell. One thing that you will need is a uvb light for the turtle. When you say 24/7, do you mean that you leave the light on all the time? The light should be on 12 to 14 hours only. You are trying to duplicate how they live it the wild and they need a day and night cycle. Do you have a basking area for the turtle? The turtle needs to get out of the water completely and dry off.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:25 AM   #3
JsX__
give the turt a salt bath.. and add some salt to the tank this will help kill off fungus and other crap... should help prevent shell problems

aquarium salt!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!