Pausing CDs and DVDs bad for disk? Is it true? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Pausing CDs and DVDs bad for disk? Is it true?

Okay~ I listen to a lot of audio books. I LISTEN to the books because I don't have time to sit down and read them. The fact that I'm working means I leave the room a lot. Most books have between 15-25 tracks. I prefer when I leave the room~ even for a couple hours~ just to pause the disk so that when I come back the book will be in the same place as when I left. My 17 year old know-it-all son insists this is REALLY BAD for the disks and that I am burning a track into the disk in the spot where I left the book paused.

Is this true?

Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
nope! the laser is not nearly powerful enough to harm the disk. its basically like shining a flashlight at the disk for days on end. now, it could MALFUNCTION and burn a line in the disk, but this is very very unlikely. the only time ive ever seen this happen was when somones PS2 laser malfunctioned. I have not seen it since.

Now, a burning laser ( Drive in a computer) CAN burn through the first layers on a CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW and leave lines or Dots that you can see. I have seen this happen when somone has burned a CD too many times.. ( mind you thats nearly 1,000 writes and rewrites to a disk )

Old 01-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
nope! the laser is not nearly powerful enough to harm the disk.

I also say this based on the assumption that you are using a basic player to listen to the tracks?

Old 01-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thank you!

I was really hoping it wasn't true~ I hate trying to figure out where I was on a disk!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
I think it is harder on the drive itself than it is on the actual disc. If you are going to pause it for a short period of time (20 minutes or less) it is fine, but I wouldn't recommended it sitting for hours at a time.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
yes~ just a plain old player. In fact~ it so old it sometimes flakes out and I have to remove the disk and slap the player around to knock whatever controls the sound back into place!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
yes~ just a plain old player. In fact~ it so old it sometimes flakes out and I have to remove the disk and slap the player around to knock whatever controls the sound back into place!
LOL time for a new one methinks! Theyre cheap... only like 20 bucks nowadays....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!