Woman found dead in home with snake around her neck - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
JColt
Woman found dead in home with snake around her neck

OXFORD, Ind. (WTHR) - Indiana State Police are investigating a woman's death after she was found with a python around her neck.

Benton County Sheriff's Deputies responded to 609 North Dan Patch Drive shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday on a report of an unresponsive woman.

Deputies arrived to find a 36-year-old woman on the floor with an 8-foot python wrapped around her neck.

Medics pronounced the woman dead.

Police say there were 140 snakes in the home and the woman owned 20 of the snakes.

Police describe the home as a home built for reptiles.

An autopsy is scheduled for Friday to determine the woman's cause of death.

https://www.wthr.com/article/woman-f...round-her-neck

Old 10-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
JColt
Little more info

An 8-foot python was coiled around the neck of a woman found dead inside a home filled with 140 snakes in Oxford, Indiana, police said.

The home is owned by Benton County Sheriff Donald E. Munson, property records show. IndyStar left a message for Munson with Benton County dispatchers on Thursday.

Benton County Sheriff's Department officers found the body of Laura Hurst, 36, of Battle Ground, Ind., in a snake-filled home in the 600 block of North Dan Patch Drive shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday, Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley said. The community is located about 25 miles northwest of Lafayette.

An 8-foot long reticulated python was loosely coiled around Hurst's neck, Riley said. Medics tried unsuccessfully to revive her.

Hurst owned about 20 of the about 140 snakes that were kept at the home. Riley said she visits the home about twice a week. No one lives in the home, which Riley said is "made for the keeping of snakes."

Riley said the snake may have caused the woman's death, but it was too soon to know for sure on Thursday.

An autopsy was expected to be performed Friday.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
bcr229
Sad. Unfortunately it's all too easy to get complacent when you deal with these snakes every day.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
That is sad. I hope they do a fair autopsy.

Retics are so strong, I cannot pull one of the 8-10's out of their cage if they don't want to go (with my puny little arms), there's no way I would handle one 8'+ without backup/assistance.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Herpin Man
I read the article on yahoo news.
I also read the comments. It is both enlightening and discouraging to see the vitriol that the general public displays towards snakes, and towards the people who keep them.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
JColt
Yep, you can have 5 million competent keepers and 1 moron to that makes the 5 million look incompetent.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Yep, you can have 5 million competent keepers and 1 moron to that makes the 5 million look incompetent.
The same is true for gun owners and cops.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
The same is true for gun owners and cops.
Most definitely.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
Herpin Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I won't go quite so far as to call her a moron. An accident, or poor judgement might be more accurate. We don't know exactly how it happened, but I'll readily admit to having handled snakes of that size, and larger, while alone. Maybe that was a mistake on my part, but I'm sure there are many other keepers who have done the same.
But it's disappointing to see how the general public views us as weirdos, idiots, how she got what she deserved, and the number of people who think that keeping "exotics" should be totally banned. Maybe someday it will be- and for no valid reason, other than so many people simply don't understand it, therefore they oppose it.
This happens every time something newsworthy happens in the herp keeping world. I know I shouldn't waste my time on the comments section, but I can't help myself.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
I won't go quite so far as to call her a moron. An accident, or poor judgement might be more accurate.
Not specifically calling her a moron but it was a stupid moment that puts bad light on herp keepers. I still in the back of my mind wonder if the sheriff dept employee had something to do with it? Killed her and blame it on reptile? Far fetched or maybe not?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!