Seeds vs. Plants - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #1
Lucille
Seeds vs. Plants

A lot of the time I start with seeds; for one thing, the flower and veggie seed catalogs arrive in winter and ordering stuff helps me plan my garden. sometimes though, when I go to the plant nursery, I buy flats of plants such as petunias; I can't resist he 'instant color' in my garden. How about y'all, which do you prefer?

Old 03-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
mycurlylocks
I use seeds as my last resort! I live in a small town in eastern North Carolina and if Walmart or Lowe's doesn't carry the plant then I am out of luck.
I have a knack for killing seedlings. I do okay until it's time to move them out and plant them in the soil. I cool them, baby them and still I kill over half of them. Seems like the salt air is hard on the seedlings.
Of course... my black thumb of death doesn't help either!
Candy

Old 03-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I am pretty much a bulb person, I kill all the seeds I think and the plants well they just don't like me other than marigolds lol

But I do well with bulbs more than anything.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
allreptiles1966
I like to start with heirloom seeds. Or take cuttings from my favorite plants.
But do buy some plants occasionally.

Start your seeds in your reptile room. Temps are perfect,humidity usually up in the 50's.
Too much water,not enough light and too cool of temps will kill your seedlings.
Do you use floros to start seeds under ? you really dont need lighting at planting time. Just after they emerge from the soil. Put the lights very close to the florescent lights. 2"
I only sprout in my boa room,as soon as they sprout i place them next to my sliding door
with a florescent over them on a plant rack. I hardly ever lose a seeding.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Tim Cole
I planted 4 different kind of yucca seeds yesterday in old plastic shoeboxes.

I put the boxes on a well lit table.

I've never done this before so I'm anxious to see it work.

I have a large cactus bed I hope to plant them in when they are ready.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!