Kickin out eggs, and takin names,... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-21-2005, 02:07 PM   #21
Eric East
Any updates?

Eric

Old 08-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #22
thesnakeman
Wink Patience Grasshopper,...

FINALLY!!!!!!! They are all out, and in their individual tubs in the rack! Man what a relief. It's been a long haul, and I must admit, I never expected to achieve this degree of success on my first try. Out of twelve eggs, >{eight have made it all the way}<. Now I just have to get them to eat. But I know that part will work itself out just fine, as well. And I know that the sooner eight babies start feeding, the sooner I'll be cleaning up after them. And the sooner they'll be going to new homes. And I will miss each and every one. I hope that when the time comes, I'll be able to let them go. Although,...I might just keep one. We'll see. I know that a lot of guys got skunked this year, and for them, I'm truly sorry. I hope this doesn't cause any hard feelings. Next year maybe everyone will have a good year. I sure hope so. I sure feel like I hit the lottery. It would be nice if we all could, every time. I know that I won't always be this lucky. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy it.

Tomorrow I will post pics of the crop. But I must say, they all look pretty much alike. Very little red, if any. But also very little white. Almost no speckles at all. I expect them to all be very black as both mom and dad are. Maybe a small patch of dirty white under the chin. But right now at least, they all have an incredible blue iridescence.

Now I would like to say THANK_YOU. There are a bunch of folks who have earned my gratitude, but I will stick to the short list here. They are, Dean Alessandrini, Carl Gosset, Jeff Snodgres, and my wife Tara. Dean, you pointed me in the right direction, and sold me my first pair. Carl, you sold me my second pair. Jeff, you have been a friend in deed. You have been a calm voice on the phone when things got funky, and you are a tremendous resource, for information, and wisdom. And Tara, you have put up with so much. You have supported me through thick and thin. You have stood by me all the way. Without your support, this could not have happened. And I appreciate you more than you will ever know! I feel so blessed to have taken part in this process with these wonderful, endangered animals, and such an amazing, and beautiful woman by my side every day. Now I'm truly hooked. There can be no turning back for me. I will be working with Drymarchon, for the rest of my life. These animals have had such an intense effect on me. Words just can't explain it. But I know many of you already know exactly what I mean. Thanks guys. Good luck!
T.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #23
epidemic
Congratulations greenhorn!

Tony, My friend, I know I said this over the phone, but congratulations once again!
I believe I was equally relieved and giddy as you, when you called to inform me your first egg had pipped.
While I seriously doubt anyone will harbor hard feelings regarding your success, as most within the Dry community tend to pull for one another, a small degree of envy could be warranted, since you are a greenhorn! ;0)
You have crossed several hurdles to get where you are at today and you are to be commended for your commitment, patience and success, just keep in mind; you have two hurdles left, in that you must get those little ones feeding and part with them, or at least my pair anyhow!
I believe all who have experienced success with the captive propagation of Drys knows the emotional ties to the little guys can be likened to the ties we associate with dogs in that it just plain hurts when the time comes to send them away, but the joy you will experience when someone posts on a forum or calls to share their success with a Dry they acquired from you will make it all worth your while.
I appreciate the kind words and I want you to know it was my absolute pleasure to be of assistance.

Congratulations again on a job very well done,

Jeff

Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #24
gila7150
Great job Tony! I'm really happy for you.
Those babies are beautiful....I really like the all black ones. Like most couperi breeders, you'll probably have good years and rough years but memories like these will keep you going during those not so good seasons.
Enjoy the moment and congrats again on your awesome success!

Old 08-22-2005, 11:59 PM   #25
thesnakeman
Talking More pics as promised,....

But first, thanks again guys!

Here are just a couple pics. I took one pic of each snake. That wasn't easy! And they all look pretty much alike, except a couple seem to have a little touch of red. But I just picked what I thought were the best pics.

First there's one of Mongo who decided to come all the way out of his cage with his rat yesterday. I guess he was feeling starved for attention. So he acted like a big 7' 4" ham. He just went nuts.

Next there's one shot of several babies fresh out of the egg.

Then there's one who couldn't make up his mind weather to go out or stay in.

And one good shot of one of the babies.

Oh,... one more thing. I will admit to being a newby to the Dry scene, but last time I looked,... my horn was not green!
T.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2005, 01:36 AM   #26
Douglas Taylor
Very Cool Man,

Congrats. Hope they all start feeding well for you REALLY soon.

Doug T

Old 08-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #27
thesnakeman
Doug,
I need to give thanks where due. I'm sorry I forgot you. In the beginning when I was in research phase, you were actually the first person I talked to, and you were very helpful. And you were also a big help in starting this forum. Thank-you! I owe you a favor!

If any of you are ever in the Ozarks, you'd better stop in an at least say howdy! We'll grill some killer pork chops, or steaks and maybe go snake huntn/fishn.
T.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #28
Douglas Taylor
As for helping you out... just keep up the tradition and make sure the next guy has it figured.

If I got to the Ozarks We'd have to limit it to steaks and chops. If we went hunting, I'd end up holding the gun backwards. If we fished I'd just end up with an unintentional body piercing... but I hear there's some nice rocks to climb on in the Ozarks.

Doug T

Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #29
thesnakeman
We'll have to work on that. You can handle a snake hook right? I have a very good spot to flip tin. Don't worry about being a city slicker. I'll have you countryfied in no time.
T.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:03 PM   #30
Anthony Chodan
Hey Tony...As has been said...CONGRATS!

I can only imagine what it feels like to produce indies for the first time, and I share in your excitement!

I currently have 1.3 erebennus, and one of my females may be ready to go this fall. How big was your girl? My biggest is probably 4.5-5'.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!