substrate for fire skink - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
lihairden
substrate for fire skink

i don't know much about different substrates since i used paper towel on my gecko. i'm not comfortable using sand. what's good to use?

thanks

Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
laterob
I use Repti-Bark (I think) for Splink the Skink. He likes it, but it doesn't hold moisture too well.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
I would cypress mulch, Eco-earth (or bed-a-beast, plantation soil...whatever its called these days), or repti-bark.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
laterob
I agree, but the thing about the bedabeast-type stuff, at least in my house, is that it seems to attract gnats. Skinks don't need super-high humidity; I keep mine around 40%. I've found that whenever I use any 'dirt' substrate, I have to change it all the time because I get lots of little gnats in it.

With the repti-bark, I haven't had the problem. I use some sphagnum moss and some fake plants to help keep the humidity up, because the bark isn't too absorbent and it dries out pretty quickly. Spraying the bark and the fake plants once a day seems to do the trick.

Also, my skink likes to burrow and hide beneath the substrate. Bark is a little cleaner for him to do so than 'dirt'.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
lihairden
my husband reminded me that i didn't ask about aspen. is that a good substrate?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
laterob
I've never tried it but I am sure it would be fine. Just remember to spray it down. I use a huge water dish, too, to help with humidity and provide a pool. Splink doesn't swim too often, but once in a while he'll do a couple laps.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
lihairden
my husband was talking about picking up one of those terra cotta bottoms for potted plants and using that as a water dish/pool.

glad to see that I can use aspen...I've got 2 gerbils so it's always around

Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
rosebud945
I use organic potting soil and have never had gnats and it never smells bad, and I live in SE Texas, aka, gnat capital of the world. Fire skinks are burrowers, so you need a substrate that they can completely bury themselves in and that isn't scratchy so that it damages their scales. I do dump the soil every few months, but you should do that with any substrate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!