Ground Skinks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
missinasworld
Ground Skinks

A little while back a friend of mine gave me a ground skink that he trapped between a few boards in his drive way. THe little guy was so cute I kept him..or her as the case may be. I named it George-it looks like a George to me.
at any rate, at the last reptile show I was at I got George a new, lower profile tank and set it up with live dollar weed and other plants from outside, a plastic tree log, some real rocks, a nice rock water dish, and mulch. George had been acting very shy in a taller tank and moving him to this new set up brought out a whole new George! He is more active, always hunting, always exploreing, never runs or hides when you enter the room. In fact if you place your finger agasnt the tank glass George runs over to say hi! This makes me wonder if George wants a friend. No one really seems to put much info on line about ground skinks as pets or even much more other then their sci-name, habitate, were to find them and what they look like.
When i got George he was a bit smaller and has grown perhaos an inch or two. Anyone out there keep ground skinks who can give me some ideas on what I can do to make my little scally friend more happy? Anyone think captureing another ground skink would help? how can I tell boys from girls? george gets a diet of pin head crickets and flightless fruit flys but do they have a food that they prefer?
Thanks for any ideas in advance!

Missina
ThegeckoRoom

Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
WJS Herps
Hey Missina -

I'm in your neck of the woods (Brooksville). Lots of ground skinks over this way. They were one of the first herps I kept when I was a kid, even bred a few and release the babies. Without a doubt, the number one food item mine went nuts for were ground dwelling spider of an appropriate size. I'd just find some leaf litter and collect them from there. I'm not sure how you would sex these little guys if you want to find George a mate, but I'd be happy to keep a look out for a companion if you want one.

Cheers,

Bill Smoot

Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
missinasworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS Herps View Post
Hey Missina -

I'm in your neck of the woods (Brooksville). Lots of ground skinks over this way. They were one of the first herps I kept when I was a kid, even bred a few and release the babies. Without a doubt, the number one food item mine went nuts for were ground dwelling spider of an appropriate size. I'd just find some leaf litter and collect them from there. I'm not sure how you would sex these little guys if you want to find George a mate, but I'd be happy to keep a look out for a companion if you want one.

Cheers,

Bill Smoot
I have tons of spiders running around out here so I will capture a few and see what he thinks. I know he LOVES pin head crickets and goescrazy captureing the fruitflys.
If you happen to come by one or two I would love to take them, I will give you a few bucks for them I live on the gulf so I have hunted for them around my house but can't seem to find any. I know a few weeks ago Linda Pedersons park was crawling with them..but now they seem to have vanished with all the rain we have been getting. I just got back from Crews lake park and although I found tons of six-line runners and noals..I didn't see any skinks there ither. my friend who gave me George can't find any more around his place..but we did find lots of cuban tree frogs..I captuerd and froze a few. the cubans have cool eyes but I (like the cubans) prefer the little native green tree frogs.
but yeah if you come by some drop me an e-mail at missinasworld@yahoo.com

Missina

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
WJS Herps
Hi Missina -

I'll keep an eye out for a couple for ya. I don't need any money for them. If you're willing to swing out this way to pick them up, that's good enough.

We usually have a few in the yard around here and if I don't see any here I know a spot that's crawling with them. I'll let you know.

Take care

Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
missinasworld
Its been a while and I managed to get 3 more ground skinks. I have them in a viv that is about the size of a 40gallon breeder and my adult skink, George, has started picking on one of the smaller ones. Do you think George is just showing his dominance or possibly both of them are males? Everyone was perfectly happy until recently.
here is their tank set up:

one of the younger skinks

and my original one, George

I think I may end up having to move george out of the skink tank..I moved them into this larger tank from a 20gal long hoping that more floor space would stop him from picking on them...it didn't work. the really weird thing is, he only goes after them when he knows Im watching. its really odd. and form the look of it, its only 1 of the younger ones he goes after and he is fine with the other 2. Their names are Thing 1 and Thing 2, and Ditch Witch.

Missina

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!