Triblonotus gracilis (Crocodile Skinks) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-25-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
herpspaz
Question Triblonotus gracilis (Crocodile Skinks)

Hey, I've got a pair of Crocodile Skinks (aka Red Eye Armoured Skink, etc..).

Just curious to know if anyone else has em here and what their set up is like?? I've heard that they can be set up semi aquatic? Has anyone tried this with success?

Also, if anyone has any breeding info for these cute little guys, I'd very much appreciate it!

-Karin

Old 11-26-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
crazycorn
I currently own a female croc skink and have had success with a semi aquatic setup it is half water and half cypress mulch and it has work very well for me it also stays at room tempeture ((75-80F) and I have had it that way since augast with no problems and I do not use UV-B and my skink says very happy and is friendly. As for breeding I do not know much about that I have heard you give them a moss egg box to lay in and just put the male in with the female as they have no "Season". Email me or post if you have any other questions I would be glad to help.

Old 11-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
herpspaz
I'm using cypress mulch only right now, but it's on a slope, where there's a large rock water dish on one end, and i keep that side very moist.

Would it be possible to post a pic of your setup?? I've seen some other semi aquatic setups, but never with cypress mulch, usually only with slate pieces. Do you have a problem with tossing crix in there and having too many drown? (i get this problem even with a small water dish in my leopards tanks..)

Also, I've been housing my male/female together since i got them back in June/July. Think they'll still mate on their own without having to be seperated and introduced later? Also, is there a cooling period or anything needed to stimulate breeding?

-Karin

Old 11-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
crazycorn
I do not have a pic right now but I will later for you. How I have mine setup is I have a tupperware dish that takes up almost half the cage and filled it up to the top with water and put rocks and sticks in for him to hind in as they love to hide alot in the water as I have noticed, as for crickets yeah they do drown about every 1 out of 5 drowns unless you pay close enough attention to save them but that isnt that bad if you ask me. As for breeding eggs have been laid succesfuly and hatched out as I have heard and seen and they said that the female when put in with a male and housed togeter after ahwile would breed contiously and that they laid 1 to 2 eggs at a time for months at time as leopard geckos do but I am still unsure as to how to stimulate them I would try misting the cage and keeping it in a semi warm area with low traffic and have a moss box with wet/damp moss at all times and you might try cooling them down for a bit also, BTW how was your pair sexed? Alot of females are being sold as males atleast that is what I have noticed in my local area, if you could try and get close up of their vent-tail area and the bottom of their feet if it is possible for you to do so and I will tell you what I they are 1.1 as mine was sold as a male but is actually a female so now I am left searching for a male.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:11 AM   #5
herpspaz
what size tank do you have your little girl in?? mine are housed in a ten gal only, do you think i should go bigger? (most caresheets i've read have said that a 10 gal is sufficient)

also, i am pretty sure mine are a 1.1 pair, i bought them from Regal Reptiles, the female was with them, the male was a long term captive that they got from either a different supplier? or a friend?? i can't quite remember... but yes, when they came, i did sex them myself as well to double check. i looked both on the toes (for the pores-male) and on the belly (the male has that squareish piece of scale where the belly button would be).

If i can get a picture of them, i'll post them later, along with a picture of my setup to get some suggestions.

Thanx!
-Karin

Old 11-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #6
crazycorn
Yes 10 gallon is fine for a pair unless you want to make a setup with plants and a pond and stuff but 10gl if fine if you dont, I house my little girl in a 10gj too. Ok its sounds like you know what you should for croc skinks which is great! I was busy last night so hopefuly I will have time later today to post some photos.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:31 PM   #7
crazycorn
Sorry I never did get a picture..my internet went off for awhile and my camrea on the fritz. I am truely sorry. Dave.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!