Hatchling worries - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
roseg96
Hatchling worries

I have a month old hatchling who is worrying me. He is completely restless which led me to think his environment was not right but I don't know what else to fix.

Enclosure-
His set-up is a small sterilite tub (I would say lg shoebox-ish size) with a small under tank heater, thin layer of cypress mulch, two hides (hot side registering 89.3 and cool side hide registering 80.2 measured under hides with probe thermometer) and a water dish. The humidity level is hovering around 69. I added some paper tubes after reading that possibly he still felt exposed just to take up some space and hopefully give him some more security(?). Also the tub is in our spare bedroom so not much noise or foot traffic and our home is empty practically 12 hrs a day.

The baby himself-
He was hatched 7/6, I got him 7/20 and he fed nicely for me 7/25 but he has not fed since. (Offered food 7/31 and 8/4...size appropriate rat pup each time both refused). The restlessness is fairly new, as is the refused feeding. I will say that his belly looks a bit pinkish so he could be setting up for a shed but his eyes are not clouded. He weighed 62gm when I got him and 70gm on 8/2.

I am not new to ball pythons (we have 2 sub adults and 1 adult who are wonderful feeders and shedders) but I have never gotten one so young. I am worried because he is so tiny. Any advice would be appreciated.

Should I just leave him be? Maybe my fussing over him is stressing him out? How long can he safely refuse meals and what should I look out for to know its vet time? Is there anything different I need to adjust with his enclosure that I may be missing other than bumping the hot side hide a few degrees (which I am working on)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
bcr229
If he was born on 7/6 and you bought him on 7/20 then you got him awfully young; he may not even have eaten yet for the breeder. My babies typically shed 7-10 days after pipping, and I offer the first meal to all a week after that. Most breeders won't send a BP to a new home until the baby has eaten at least three times, unless the keeper is experienced at raising hatchlings.

Instead of a rat pup I would try offering a live mouse hopper one evening this weekend, they are like crack for baby snakes, and BP's are night hunters by nature. After the baby is eating the hoppers consistently switch to rat pups, and then f/t if that's your goal.

Also, has he pooped yet? He may still be digesting his first meal.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
roseg96
Thank you for the response. No, he has not pooped yet, I forgot to add that.
Sorry for so many questions but...
Should I wait until he poops to feed him again?
His first meal from me was f/t (scented with gerbil bedding just because that was what had worked to switch my others to f/t) as were the two refused feedings. I don't mind buying live if that is what it takes to get him eating again.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
roseg96
Update
I picked up 2 frozen mouse fuzzies this evening after work and seeing as he was still roaming his tank constantly as he has been for a couple of days I couldn't wait until this weekend. I thawed one, popped his tank and presented him with the fuzzy and he couldn't snatch it fast enough.

I feel so bad now like I have been starving the poor thing! I'm really hoping I will see him settle down and rest in one of his hides tonight. If he stays restless I will still need some help though. This constant pace can't be healthy.

Ty again for the advice. I may need some more as he comes along. I don't think I'll be comfortable until he's at least 200-250gm lol.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
bcr229
Awesome! Mouse fuzzies are small meals for BP's though, I'd offer the other in about five days, and then move to a f/t hopper.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
roseg96
Absolutely! The store didn't have any hoppers today so I got these 2. I'm so excited that at least he ate! And I peeked in on him and he's back in his warm side hide : )!! Glad to see him resting!!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Helenthereef
I know you feel bad, but actually I don't think it's a bad thing to only feed them once you see hunting (restless) behaviour - so many captive snakes end up like stuffed sausages and live shorter lives because of it!

Well done for persevering, hopefully he'll take off for you now.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
roseg96
Thank you again to everyone who responded. He is acting like a normal bp again : ). Resting in his hides and eating on a schedule. (Offered the other fuzzy tonight and he ate with gusto!) Off to the store in the next couple of days to get him a slightly larger meal for his next feeding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!