First Corn baby! Nice dark Purple... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
SilverBlaze
Exclamation First Corn baby! Nice dark Purple...

So my first clutch of corn snakes hatched a few days ago and I'm kinda wondering the morphs. I have a pretty good idea but just want some opinions. I'm more of a ball python person. I can tell you just about every morph but when it comes to corns I need a little help. There's 12 babies in all and all are either dark purple some a lil light then other and then there's some that has like a reddish pink that has purple mixed in. I only have a pic of the purple ones right now. Will get the red ones later today... I'm thinking Lavender of course but all the pic I've seen of Lavender Hatchlings are a lot lighter purple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110719_105509[1].jpg (148.9 KB, 149 views)

Old 08-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
pnutbutrcp
Are you selling any of these babies?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
SilverBlaze
Yes and the one in this picture was actually the first to eat without being force fed...

Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
pnutbutrcp
PM sent

Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Alex G
Well, what were the parents? Nearly all corn genes are recessive and require both parents to at least be hets to make the babies possibly show the phenotype.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
SilverBlaze
From what I was told the dad was a snow corn and the mom was a sunglow. Thats all I know. I ended up with the mother on a trade deal and the guy wasn't sure if see was pregnant or not and it ended up that she was...

Old 08-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
Alex G
I would wait for them to shed once or twice then; it sounds like they might be normals or possibly, if the sunglow was het for anery, anery.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
SilverBlaze
They have shed and there not normals. I know what normals look like. These are purple, a few differnt shades but still purple.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlaze View Post
From what I was told the dad was a snow corn and the mom was a sunglow. Thats all I know. I ended up with the mother on a trade deal and the guy wasn't sure if see was pregnant or not and it ended up that she was...
So if this was indeed the case, among other possibilities there should also be amels with no black pigment and red eyes that should have also been produced with this combination too. There has to be other recessive traits the parents were also het for, or else just by going on their morph "face-value", you would have gotten all 100
% amels that were het for anery. Also, the "sunglow" is a selectively bred trait that reduces the white borders on the saddle blotching, and it can often involve hypomelanism to reduce these borders but not always, because some sunglow lines have no white on them from selective breeding and not because hypomelanism was part of their equation. In the very early 90's I had a sunglow with ZERO white before the term sunglow was ever even thought of. It had no hypomelanism in it at all, but many today do to erase as much dark pigment as possible.

Anery corns can vary quite a bit, and so can ghosts,....males are generally the lighter of the sexes in ghost morphs too, but not in all cases.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
SirenSanJose
I'd love to see updated photos of these purple kids

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!