Friendly Arboreal Snakes?? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
abbccjns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
My emeralds are calm calm. Even at night when they're in "food mode" You can go in bare handed if need be. I know GTP's like that too. Simple truth is, you'll eventually take a bite. just get in the mindset that it's ok, you're not going to bleed to death. It happens. Relax.

As for terrestrial species, pick what you like. The general "rule" for caging, is about half the snake. so for an 8ft boa, you'll only need a 4ft cage or so. BHS(Bleeding Heart Syndrome) is the biggest spender in this industry. Just because the boa is 8ft, doesn't mean it's going to use all 8ft, or even be comfortable in an enclosure that large. I have a 7-8ft female boa who doesn't like being in anything other than *HER* 3ft boaphile.
Hm I do know they don't need large spaces although that's really interesting how they are fine in something less than half their size. Also, I'm not worried about the off-chance I get bit, I've had chunks taken out by macaws before and whatnot lol, but just definitely see a difference between an animals off days and a constantly aggressive or very stressed when handled snake.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
abbccjns
Also, the length isn't what really matters to me, it's more of how an 8-12 foot snake can weigh around 100 pounds. I'm a girl who only weighs like 110lb so I'm not sure how well I'd be able to lug a snake around that's literally like bigger and as heavy as I am lol! I'd like to have a snake I could carry around which is why I think maybe 6-7 feet range, depending on the snake, would maybe be good.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
abbccjns
One maybe around 40-50 pounds and 6-8 feet would be nice. :]

Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbccjns View Post
Also, the length isn't what really matters to me, it's more of how an 8-12 foot snake can weigh around 100 pounds. I'm a girl who only weighs like 110lb so I'm not sure how well I'd be able to lug a snake around that's literally like bigger and as heavy as I am lol! I'd like to have a snake I could carry around which is why I think maybe 6-7 feet range, depending on the snake, would maybe be good.
Unless you're carrying around an 8-12ft 'gator without legs, it's not going to be 100lbs. A healthy female boa, in the 8-12ft range, will weight 20-30lbs and that's about as heavy as you'll get without getting into the big constrictors.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
abbccjns
Hm, apparently people I have heard from have fat snakes then lol! It did seem quite heavy to me. Thanks :]

Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
Utta
Weight and length are very often exaggerated. Go to a gym and just feel how heavy 20lbs is with an outstretched arm like you'd hold a snake. Should give you a good idea from then on.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #17
Utta
* for weight that is. Length is a different matter.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #18
abbccjns
Oh yea I know. I do lift weights lol, and a 100 pound snake did seem QUITE excessive. Apparently it is quite exaggerated! That's why I was figuring something around 30-50 pounds seemed more normal lol. I've always loved red tailed boas and wanted one for a while, this is really making me reconsider not thinking I'd be able to have one. :]

Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #19
Utta
There are some dwarf locality boa's out there. Hog Isle, Cay Calker, and one or two more, I forget what they're called. Check in the boa section for pictures/info on some of the dwarf boas.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #20
abbccjns
I like the idea of a male red tail. Also, now that I see cage size can be much smaller than I thought, what size would you recommend for an adult red tail?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!