PROTESTING THE DIXIE CHICKS,,, - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:30 PM   #11
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Quote:
for me actors, musicians etc, should keep there personal beliefs to themselves, and then they would never have to worry about being boycotted.
You are driving my point home in a wierd way by saying this. Why should someone have to fear boycott and backlash by voicing their personal opinions that may not agree with the majority? Of course this isn't a perfect world, but why should someone here in America have to worry about their livelihood being threatened when they voice a dissenting opinion?

At my job, all of the management are staunch conservative Republicans. The GOP can do no wrong in their eyes. I am not a complete left whack-job liberal, but I am not a devout righty either. I think I am about as moderate as it gets. Depending on the issues, I have disagreements with my managers on political events and issues and I have no problem voicing these dissenting views when we are having a discussion regarding these things. Do I have that right to voice my opinions and how I feel? I think we can all agree, Yes. Am I at risk of losing my job and never getting hired again in my field for my views? No. My personal and political views have absolutely no bearing on how I do my job.

Actors, musicians, and other public figures should be in the same boat, in my opinion. They have a job. They do their job. The rallies and speeches they give should have no bearing on them doing their job when it comes to us, the movie and music consumer. Martin Sheen disagrees with the President and the war and what not, and is vocal about it, as he has that right. However, since he is in the minority opinion AND an actor, he should shut his mouth or suffer the consequences of a boycott? The same with the Dixie Chunks, they voiced a dissenting/minority view in a public forum and have suffered the "wraith" of the majority in the form of boycotts and the loss of financial gain. In other words, although I don't think what they said was all that appropriate, they are being persecuted for voicing dissent to the President and those who are in support of him.

I'm sorry if this makes me sound like a whack-job liberal or something, but I just don't feel it is totally deserved that they should suffer financial "persecution" because they disagree with the crowd, is all(of course I know they've got plenty of green and aren't hurting, but their possible future green earning potential is hurting). If they still do their job and put out good music, then that is what should be focused on, not their whacky politics or personal lives.

But that is just he way I see it.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:50 PM   #12
herpcondo
Hey Rob,
i agree with what you are saying,, but you know the best part about America,,, I don't have to buy dixie dogs cds if i choose not to,, based on bad music or there political views,,, and i ( and a hell of a lot of other people ) also choose not to purchase there cds... I am down here where Trent Lotts Remarks got him in big trouble,, i am not saying it is right or wrong,,, but it is the way it is,,, Trent has done a lot for Mississippi, but his mouth running without his brain cost him everything in politics.
If you make your views known in public, like the dixie dogs did,,, then they will have to accept the consequences, good or bad,,, if they kept there opinions to themselves,,, they would not be in this mess right now,,,, I know there is not a country station here in Mississippi playing the Dixie dogs,,, is it right or wrong..? I don't know but it is the radio stations option to play them or not,,, and I know they are not! so they made there bed and now they are laying in it,,, right or wrong..?!

as i say what i said above, and my other posts,, i open myself up for those that agree and disagree,,, Is that right or wrong..?!
Don't know but it is the way it is,,, and I accept responsibility for it,,, good, bad, or other,,

Old 03-26-2003, 03:02 PM   #13
Darin Chappell
Here is the only distinction I would make, Rob. You are not being employed because of your image! You do your job, and you have every right to express your opinions so long they do not begin to interfere with your job performance. That's great.

However, musicians, actors, etc. are employable (make that profitable) in large part because of their image! If you don't believe that, consider how much money the image managers in Hollywood make off of these wackos out there! If you still don't believe that image is more important that talent, ask PeeWee Herman (Paul Rubins), and he'll tell you all about it. Or, how about Michael Jackson . . .Mike Tyson? This being the case, their image upkeep IS their job performance, and making stements like the Dixie Hags made is ruining their capacity to do their job . . .hence the backlash.

Now, other individuals like Marilyn Manson and Michael Moore have been mentioned as people with horrible images that still are accepted for their "creative" (?) exploits. However, I would suggest to you that these types of people are ONLY popular because of their wild/wacky/weird persona. In these instances, comments such as these are not detrimental to their careers, they enhance them. They appeal to a certain group because they (the entertainers) are freaks. Go figure, but it's true!

However, the Dixie Hags have tried to appeal to an entirely different group of people. They have presented themselves as the girl band from next door. "Mom, apple pie, chevrolet, and the Dixie Hags forever!" That is their desired image. So, making the statment that the chief Hag made in London (while it may have played locally to those ingrates gathered at the show) was simply committing image suicide for the country band back here. She was not doing her job, because she was not protecting their image. The others of the group failed in their responsibilities by not rebuking her, and now the whole group is going to have to suffer.

Do they have the right as American citizens to say whatever they want? Absolutely. Can they do so and not expect to have some sort of a backlash against them when they completely violated their image (and the fans' trust in them) as these Hags have done? Absolutely not!

I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or indifferent. In fact, I would prefer it if no entertainer of any sort thought that a platinum album in their den wall somehow made them an expert in world affairs. Many of them couldn't find Iraq on a map, for crying out loud! But given that we live in a world of immediate attention and immediate dispersal of information, I would think someone might just try to tell the Dixie Hags to shut up! Either that or have Jane Fonda become their new image manager!

Old 03-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #14
Uffern
I have to agree. They are free to express their opinions as they see fit, although I can't remember the last time I was able to shout my take from a stage to thousands of people. In any event, they are free to say what they want, and we are all free to not buy thier music because of it. Should a musician fear boycott if they say they are ashamed of their country (and by extension, its citizens)? Yes. They should.
TO address your analogy of work, if you disagree with your boss, that is one thing, but if you told your boss that you were ashamed that he was born in the same country as you, how fast do you think you would get promoted, or another raise?

In short, they are free to say what they want, and the consumers are free to boycott them for any reason at all.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #15
Darin Chappell
From a military member's perspective:

This letter was forwarded via email to the KGBX Morning Show. Listeners have requested that we post this on the website.

An Open letter to the Dixie Chicks

Earlier this week, while performing in London, you stated that you were ashamed that our President is from your home state. I wonder if you realized how many
Americans would be listening. This Texan is ashamed that you come from my state. I serve my country as an officer in the United States Navy. Specifically, I fly F-14 Tomcats off carriers around the world, executing the missions that preserve the very freedom you claim to exercise. I have proudly fought for my country in the skies over Kososvo, Iraq, and Afghanistan, without regret. Though I may disagree wholeheartedly with your comments, I will defend to the death your right to say them in America. But for you to travel to a foreign land and publicly criticize our Commander in Chief is cowardice behavior. Would you have so willingly made those comments while performing for a patriotic, flag-waving crowd of Texans in Lubbock? I would imagine not. How dare you pocket profits off songs about soldiers, their deaths, and patriotism while criticizing their Commander in Chief abroad, even while they prepare to give their lives to ensure your own freedom of speech. Please ask yourself, what have you done to deserve that sacrifice? Do not try to justify your comments by claiming that you made them only because you care about innocent lives. Never once in our history have we committed troops to war for the purpose of taking innocent lives. We do it to protect innocent lives, even yours. If the world leaders of the late 1930's had the vision and courage of our present Commander in Chief, perhaps the evil men who caused the death of millions in WWII would have never had the opportunity to harm a soul. The potential loss of millions of lives in the future at the hands of today's evil men necessitate action. In a separate correspondence, I am returning to you each and every Dixie Chick CD and cassette that I have ever purchased. Never again will I allow my funds to support your behavior. All you have done is to add your name to a growing list of American "Celebrities" who have failed to realize that they have obtained their successes on the backs of the American blue-collar workers such as our servicemen and women.

Old 03-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #16
herpcondo
Well , i think that pretty much sums up how the service men and women feel....( I wonder if the dixie dogs are geting the message,,) i went to the Dixie dogs website,and they sure took away the ability to email them.... no email adress for miles,,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!