African Rock (pet store not sure) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
lthomas926
African Rock (pet store not sure)

Is this a African Rock Python? I think so but just wanted to find out for sure. Or is it a Indian

Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Moved to the Python Discussion Forum.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
BigBoyzBoids
looks like a rock to me

Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
bkline
ill second that

Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
reticguy76
fo sho a rock

Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
anaconda420
yep thats a rock.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
lthomas926
Thanks Guys, I was pretty certain just wanted some assurance. He/She is very aggressive. Hissing and no shy to strike. Gonna be work to calm he/she

Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Pmsayi
Definitely a rock python. They don't usually tame well. I can tell you from previous experience with them that you should never under any circumstance consider them pets or let your guard down. Mine had days where they could be handled with little fuss but most of the time they where belligerent. Over 8' definitely requires two people and at 13-15' possibly a third person. I did notice that they "talk" more than other pythons I have kept. It was pretty common to be greeted by a hissing snake when entering the room as soon as I was noticed. This is also one of the few species of snake I have kept that will kill even if not hungry. I had one female in particular who would use the water bowl to drown her food in rather than actually constricting it. All in all I would rather deal with Retics than rocks and personal experience has been that retics calm down better and are less aggressive.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
reticguy76
i dont think rocks are any different (or have any different potential) than any other larger boidae snake.

i have had rocks that were mean and the nicest ones ever. i have had retics that were god awful and the nicest ones ever, same with burms, balls and boas.

its like saying all pitbulls are nasty or have the potential to be nasty. any animal has the same potential to be nasty or nice, based on surroundings, keeping, husbandry, handling, etc

ive had rocks that were nicer and way more "trustworthy" than alot of ball pythons i have had and/or dealt with.

rocks are great animals, as long as you get cbb, provide proper microenvironment, handle regularly, and provide an adequate feeding schedule and proper size prey

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!