White Lipped Pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
cornboa
Angry White Lipped Pythons

OK, so I've been researching this species a while now; like before I joined hear. I am really frustrated with people and companies that refer to White Lipped Pythons as ~D'Alberts~ Pythons. I respectfully request that you go to http://leiopython.de/index.html where you can read about these beautiful animals and discover that their scientific name is Leiopython albertisii and that is because they where named after Lugi Maria d'Albertis; and yea the 'd' is lower case in the formal name of the discoverer.

I personally plan to only have snakes in there 'natural' coloration all be it that there is enough variation in nature for my liking. I harbor no ill will against those that like 'morph's' from selective breeding; it just is not my thing.

I do have trouble with someone trying to sell a D'Albert's Python though. There are two main phases of the White Lipped python and they are Northern and Southern in reference to PNG and it is because of the mountain range on the island. Yes I know there are other sub's related to this family; once again refer to the above web-site.

I am new here and not trying to pick an argument; but with so much attention paid to breeder generated morphs I would think that we could all respect the names and taxonomy of the true bloods.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
That name is one of those holdovers from days gone by. Much like how many of us still call green tree pythons Chondros, and probably always will.
I use the term while lipped myself now, it's just easier to say, and is descriptive to boot. I don't remember when I started referring to them by that name, but the first thing I knew them as 20 years ago were D'Albertis Pythons. Somewhere along the line the "i" was lost, and many never realized it was actually there.

Like it or not, the name "D'Alberts Python", much like "Hogg" Island boas will be with us for a long time to come. Old habits and all........

Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
That name is one of those holdovers from days gone by. Much like how many of us still call green tree pythons Chondros, and probably always will.
I use the term while lipped myself now, it's just easier to say, and is descriptive to boot. I don't remember when I started referring to them by that name, but the first thing I knew them as 20 years ago were D'Albertis Pythons. Somewhere along the line the "i" was lost, and many never realized it was actually there.

Like it or not, the name "D'Alberts Python", much like "Hogg" Island boas will be with us for a long time to come. Old habits and all........
That is nails on a chalk board to me. Makes me sort of wish I could crawl through a computer and shake the persons shoulders. I have no idea where that extra "g" came from but it's extraneous and irrelevant.

Pardon my rant.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Payara
I didn't know WLP had other color morphs. I thought they just came in gold and black. I really wanted to get a black as my first snake but I had a hard time finding a CBB individual from reputable breeder. IF you know someone please let me know.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
cornboa
Talking Thx for Replies

Thank you for the replies, my main objective was to hopefully steer people to the leiopython.de site to help people learn more about these beautiful snakes.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornboa View Post
OK, so I've been researching this species a while now; like before I joined hear. I am really frustrated with people and companies that refer to White Lipped Pythons as ~D'Alberts~ Pythons. I respectfully request that you go to http://leiopython.de/index.html where you can read about these beautiful animals and discover that their scientific name is Leiopython albertisii and that is because they where named after Lugi Maria d'Albertis; and yea the 'd' is lower case in the formal name of the discoverer.

I personally plan to only have snakes in there 'natural' coloration all be it that there is enough variation in nature for my liking. I harbor no ill will against those that like 'morph's' from selective breeding; it just is not my thing.

I do have trouble with someone trying to sell a D'Albert's Python though. There are two main phases of the White Lipped python and they are Northern and Southern in reference to PNG and it is because of the mountain range on the island. Yes I know there are other sub's related to this family; once again refer to the above web-site.

I am new here and not trying to pick an argument; but with so much attention paid to breeder generated morphs I would think that we could all respect the names and taxonomy of the true bloods.
I hear that common name used less and less these days. When I got my first pair that was what they where commonly called. When I got my second pair the guy I got them from was just calling them leopythons.As far as northern and southern I don't really make that distinction. I tend to go with black, gray, or gold which describes the overall body color rather than geographical location. Keep in mind that common names are not scientifically correct and are easily confused and are improperly applied with many species. I'll point to A. c. contortrix (copperhead, low land moccasin, pilot, chuck head, adder) as an example. I kept the gold form for many years and greatly enjoyed working with them. These guys get a bad reputation which is mostly undeserved. They do spook easy but I never found them to be as aggressive as many people claim they are and I never had to use a hook on them to avoid being bitten. Gentle handing and patience goes a long way with white lips. I have seen your other posts where you wrote of getting these as one of your dream snakes. If no one else has told you yet, your husbandry needs to be perfect with these guys or you will have respiratory and skin infections chronically.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
snakemansnakes
Its not really that much different than all the frivilous names for the dozens upon dozens of ball python morphs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!