Housing a Burm - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
angelam87
Housing a Burm

I have a male Albino Granite Burm, he's almost out of his first year.

I'm trying to plan ahead as to what I'm going to be doing for him as far as housing goes once he starts to pack on the length.

Has anyone had any experience with "fashion" enclosures, like the coffee table style?
Or any recommendations would really do. I'm keeping him in a rack set up right now and looking to move him into a 20 long in the next week or so. I just want to look at my options before it's too late!

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
BrianC
Animal Plastics makes a cheap 6'x30'', which would be perfect for a male burm.

You can also build an enclosure from plywood, line the inside with water proof contact paper of your color choice, seal the inside edges with silicone sealant, and then cover the contact paper with stick on tiles if you'd like a more natural stone look. You can then paint, or stain the outside plywood with whichever color you like. It will be heavy, and hard to move, so I recommend putting it on wheels so you can roll it.

Relatively cheap to build, but it's time consuming.
But you'll have the satisfaction of building a nice cage yourself. :]

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
reticguy76
my opinion is to go as big and elaborate as you can (if keeping as a pet)

Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
angelam87
Quote:
Relatively cheap to build, but it's time consuming.
But you'll have the satisfaction of building a nice cage yourself. :]
I don't trust my ability to construct something that's going to house an animal that's going to be at least twice the size of me! But I'll definitely check out Animal Plastics, thanks for that tip!

[quote]my opinion is to go as big and elaborate as you can (if keeping as a pet)[quote]
He's definitely going to remain a pet, if I keep him. Circumstances for me changed this past week and I'm not sure if I'm going to have the ability to keep him so I'm looking at the long-term financial investments I'd be making since I bought him as a hatchling. Know what I mean?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Keith Stambaugh
Angela, another option, since your not in a hurry, is to frequent some yard or garage sales. Look for some old china cabnets or some type of glass storage units. Some of those work great and will house him for another few years. That will give you the time to build as Ryan mentioned. Building will give you the size cage you need for the space you have. Then you can either stain or paint it to match your layout of the house. Visit you local floor places for scrap flooring, very inexpensive. (Like Lowes)

Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
angelam87
I also have a question regarding his size, in general. I'm pretty new to owning snakes and Bubba, my burm, was the second snake I bought; I was sort-of peer pressured by my ex-boyfriend because he had a burm and didn't really know what I was getting myself into. He told me that Bubba would top out at 11' max. I'm [now] aware that a full-grown, adult can be as large as 20+ feet.

Is it reasonable to assume that Bubba is going to be that large? Or will be still be on the "smaller" side of the scale for a Burm [9-12'] because he is a male?

Total newbie question I know but I love my little [soon to be big!] dude and I don't want to give him up. But I'm trying to be realistic about it as well.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Keith Stambaugh
I have burms for 30 years and I have several for over 10 years. The male is still only 13 feet and the female is 15. IF your gets to 20 feet, call me, I take care of him and give you all the new babies you want..... Why, cause it will not happen. Rare when it does.
Keith

Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelam87 View Post
any recommendations
I visited a local reptile couple some years ago, they had great critters. But they housed their large and beautiful burm in the guest bathroom.

Don't do this. I'm thinking a lot of visitors might be like me, they might love reptiles but just don't want to pee with a strange burm in the bathroom.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
angelam87
Quote:
Don't do this. I'm thinking a lot of visitors might be like me, they might love reptiles but just don't want to pee with a strange burm in the bathroom.
Haha.
I could understand that.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Keith Stambaugh
Right, bad idea. AND it can be expensive. Friend of mine used to put his in the bathroom while he cleaned the cage. A 14 foot burm that weighs about 110 pounds can do a lot of accidental damage, which it did. Pulled the sink away from the wall and broked the plumbing to the toilet. He had water spraying in the bathroom when he opend the door to get him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!