My First Beardie - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #31
harmonysmom
Yes, he is small. The leaves are somewhat big though..haha

No mesh screen. I use an old tub from a toy organizer. I keep him by me enough so nothing can try to get him. If I have him outside and I have to make a quick trip in, I ask one of the kids to sit by him until I get back. Always works out great.

Yeah, I know about the fireflies.....scary.

The dandelions and clover I'll be getting I know for a fact don't have chemicals on them. My grandpa doesn't do that kind of stuff. I can always count on him when I need dandelion root for my teas. So I know it's safe for him.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Great, that is excellent you can get dandelion from your grandpa anytime that is convenient. They will be fine then. I hope that Tobias ends up liking the dandelion then.
The large plastic bin is fine, & I know you know how important it is to watch him. I think he will have fun. Just needs to be babysat, but who minds?
It sounds like your kids are very helpful with him. That is great!
I know, those fireflys are scary. I wish they weren't attracted to them, or they had some type of medication to flush the toxins out if ingested.

Tracie

Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #33
outsdr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsdr2
Hi Amber, it sound like Harmony is going to have a great life.

Here is the only lizard health insurance that I could find that is available.

http://www.petinsurance.com/coverage...39DA3312E0C695

Jack
Hello Amber, Try This Link It is for exotic pets only. the other link is no good.

http://www.petinsurance.com/coverage...423AA246E6EF1C

Jack

Old 08-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #34
harmonysmom
Fireflies are very scary. I read that just 1 firefly can kill an adult bearded dragon within minutes. *shudders* poor things.

Yes, Harmony is very helpful with him, even for only being 2 years old. She even feeds Tobias his crickets from time to time.

I know I don't mind having to babysit him. He'll probably be riding on my shoulders much of the time anyways. My husband is a bit worried about taking him though with how hot it's been here lately. So I guess I'll just keep an eye out on the weather, he might end up being left behind because of it. I've had to cut his time outside and do it twice sometimes four times a day just so he doesn't overheat. Instead of keeping him out for the full half hour. If I don't get him in sooner, he gapes and starts to pant heavily...even in the shade. It's just too hot this week. Even when it was ok to have him out just once for the full time, I kept his squirt bottle by me to mist him down every few minutes or so.

I'm hoping he likes the dandelions too. I should be getting them this weekend.

Thanks Jack for the fixed link. Much appreciated.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #35
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Yes, fireflys are extremely toxic & it is a real bummer too! I have only heard of 1 dragon surviving the ordeal of eating a firefly. I don't know how, but he survived. I don't remember where I read it, maybe the Reptiles magazine.
Yeah, with the heat index, you really have to be careful because he can get overheated fast. Good thing you are misting him & spraying him down, because that helps. Great you are keeping such a close eye on him. Dehydration can really get them! Great job!
I am sure that he will love the fresh dandelion greens from your grandpas!

Tracie

Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #36
harmonysmom
I read the firefly thing in The Bearded Dragon Manual....my husband made me promise to read it if he bought it for me. We got it the same day we got Tobias.

I seen him drink for the FIRST TIME since I've had him today. I was misting his cage, and when some of the water got on him, he started to lick it off, then when a small pile built up on his rock, he started to lap it up. I couldn't figure out why he didn't go to his water dish to drink. Then I remembered that juvenile dragons can't always find the water on their own..so I put him next to it, then started to mist the tank again, and sure enough, the water falling in the dish struck his interest and he started to drink it. I thought for sure that was my worst problem with him was that he wasn't drinking his water, but apparently he has been. *wipes forehead in relief*

I let him run around my daughters bedroom for a little bit today. Kept a good eye on him, because of her toys, but he stayed mostly by his cage.

Brought him out later to the living room and he sat on my lap for a bit then decided he felt froggy enough to jump around and ended up falling through the side of my futon.

Poor thing.

I've noticed something about him though, and I wish I had noticed it when I got him, but on his back foot, one of his toes is crooked and goes upwards opposed to normally pointing down. It basically looks like it was broke at one point or something. I wish I had brought this up sooner, but I just remembered from having him out earlier and seeing it again. I've felt around on it, and it doesn't seem to bother him any, but I'm worried...should I have it looked at or is this normal in some dragons from some type of accident in birth, deformation, or sibling nipping at him.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #37
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

That is a good initial book for informative purposes. I have a copy as well.
Great you finally got Tobias to drink. That is what it takes, they have to see the water move, literally. It takes a bit of work & training, but they will learn to drink from it though. A dripper type system works pretty well also. Great he drinks on his own!
It sounds like he had fun roaming around outside of his tank. He fell through the futon, poor guy! He was just trying to have fun.
That is more than likely what happened, maybe a small toe injury from the early days from one of his hatchmates perhaps. As long as it doesn't seem to bother him, it should be fine. He is lucky, alot of babies end up with nipped tails & toes. If he has all of his digits & the end of his tail, consider him lucky!!
You are doing a great job with him!

Tracie

Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #38
harmonysmom
I recieved his phoenix worms today. He seemed more curious as to why his greens were moving, but didn't seem too interested to eat more than a couple. He hasn't gotten much attention today, Harmony woke up with a fever today and I've been fussing with her, so he's had to stay put.

So it's ok as long as his toe isn't bothering him. Good deal. I guess I'll just keep an eye on his toenail then. If it even grows anymore, I don't think it does, it's very short and stubby compared to all his others, but if it does grow, I think it might cause some problems later on.

Well, I'm going to go give him some quality attention now before his lights switch off. He keeps "begging" me to take him out when I go near his cage. I'm going to try to get him outside tomorrow too for a little bit.

Are there any other books you might suggest for me to read up on? Or other sites?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #39
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Another good book, published in 2006, is called Bearded Dragons in Captivity, by Allen Repashy
I got it from www.beanfarm.com Though I am sure you should be able to find it at several places, maybe even www.reptilesupply.com too.
Oh no, he didn't get all of his attention today he will be pouting later on. Poor guy. Maybe eventually he will dive into his greens. Try some of those moist dragon bites/pellets & mix them up in the greens & veggies, too that might help some.
The toenail may just be that way for now on. As long it isn't bothering him, no problem. If the nail starts to grow strange, you can trim it with nail clippers carefully to keep it at bay.
The reptileroom.com is a very informative website & forum too you might check that out.
I hope your daughter Harmony is better.
Tracie

Old 08-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #40
harmonysmom
HE'S SHEDDING! I didn't think they would shed this young..are the supposed to shed this young?.....I'm so happy for him!

We also had an accident with his cage a few minutes ago. Harmony comes running out of her room screaming about one of the crickets that had gotten loose that day, she said she saw one (she's been scared to death of them since that day) and I went in to see if I could catch him (no such luck, he vanished before I got in there), then I looked over at Tobias' cage and the rock background had fallen over, and the heat lamp melted a good sized hole into it. So I had to flip it, clean out tank, and put it back together.

I will check out that book and that site for sure.

He did pout. Every time I walked by the room he'd stop jumping around and just stare at me. So I took him out for a bit and let him run loose in the living room. I got a video clip of it. haha He'll be taken outside later today after Harmony goes down for a nap so he can sun. Is there anything special I need to do for him while he's shedding? Or just let it be?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!