My First Beardie - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #41
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Oh boy good thing you caught that when it happened! It melted it like that so quickly? How did the background come off, just peeled off?
Did you ever find the cricket escapee? Your daughter is scared of them? Well, they are a bit scary sometimes, especially the larger ones! LOL
Great Tobias is shedding. Oh they definitely shed at that age, he will have a full body shed, & it is pretty neat looking too.
You can bathe him to keep him hydrated to help him out with shedding. Other than that, he shouldn't have any problems with it. He is growing quickly then.
Did he have a good time outside today in the nice sunshine? I bet he did pout just like a kid does. They are so funny. They will do anything to get their way & get more attention from you too! LOL

Tracie

Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #42
harmonysmom
No, I wasn't able to get him outside. Harmony's fever came back at 102.9 so I took her to the E.R. Room and turns out she's got a bad case of Strep Throat. At first, they were thinking it might have been something caused by Tobias. Since all her stuff had started at the same time I got him....but thankfully it was ruled out. *wipes forehead in relief*

The background isn't stuck to the back of the tank. It is wedged between the bottom and the top of the tank...but I guess a small part didn't go back into place when I cleaned it, so when he jumped on it, it might have fallen. Other than that, I have NO CLUE as to how it fell.

It seems that other than his tail, he's done shedding...unless it goes in steps. I don't know. I took him out and let him run around our living room for a bit again today, and it seemed the only spot with skin left loose was his tail. I put him in a bath and then spritzed the fake leaves in his cage some that he sits on. Hopefully that helped.

Yup it melted THAT quickly! It was weird.....then again, I don't know how long it was like that either...so it might have had adequate amount of time sitting under there.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #43
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Oh sorry to hear about Harmony. Strep throat is NO fun. It is highly doubtful it was from Tobias. You can get worms, parasites or salmanella if you do handle feces & don't wash your hands properly then put your hands to your face or mouth though. So just make sure she is practicing good hygiene & she will be fine.
Too bad he didn't get to get outside though, I am sure he will be anxious to get out soon!
He probably knocked it loose by trying to climb on it, or something. Did you secure it better now? You definitely don't want a fire! I am glad you caught that, it happens fast with those lights.
Good he is basically done shedding. The tail is usually the hardest area as the tips seem to like to try & stick & retain. Just make sure the humidity is 30-40% or so in there & baths help alot as well. If it is being stubborn, just use a bit of olive or mineral oil on the tip & that should help it out.

Tracie

Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #44
harmonysmom
Yeah I know the strep throat didn't come from Tobias. They were thinking something else before the Strep was the confirmed culprit. I have 2 mice, so hand sanitizer is used religiously in my home on top of hand washing. She's used to it by now.

Yeah, I got the background secured much better now. So hopefully it doesn't fall anymore. I just have to keep an eye on it when I clean from now on.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #45
harmonysmom
The skin on his tail came with no problems. I saw small bits lying around his tank. Today I'm doing a full tank cleaning....so I hope he enjoys his time out while I do it. Haha

My moms boyfriend is going to take a look at the screen on top of the tank and see if he'll be able to make it smaller for me so it actually FITS the tank.

Well, I need to go get him some crickets so he can have breakfast. Will keep you posted!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #46
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Great your daughter is very good about handwashing, etc. Is she doing better now?
Is the background staying put now I hope?
That will be nice to actually have your tank's lid fit. That is annoying you can't find one to fit it. Good luck with that!
Did you get Tobias some crickets for breakfast? Great the shed is coming off well now. I figured that it would. It is the hardest part to come off.

Talk soon.
Tracie

Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #47
harmonysmom
Daughter is getting better, still has some time on meds though.

We went to a bait shop here in town yesterday that sells some Bearded Dragon supplies, but his cricket providers shipped in the wrong sized crickets....so he won't have any Tobias' size until Friday. And the ones I ordered STILL haven't arrived yet. So I picked him up some wax worms in hopes of holding him off until tomorrow.

I also went to my grandpa's house and caught some wild crickets...at least I know they are 90% or more safe there opposed to where I'm at. But for some reason, he doesn't really like the wild crickets, they are too quick and he gets agitated having to chase them so he stops after 3 or 4 at a time.

The wall is sturdier now. I need to shovel more sand under it so it's sitting a bit tighter, but other than that, it's doing good. I don't want it too tight otherwise it's hard to get off and catch crickets that have lived for another day without messing everything up. I think I cut it too short when I got it.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #48
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Great your daughter is getting better, strep is miserable!
Oh no, Tobias has no more crickets until the end of the week? That is fine, the wild crickets will be ok I suppose for short term. Don't give too many waxies. You can try some moist dragon bites, they have some protein that would help out. Do you pop off the back legs of the crickets, that really really slows them dow alot! That would help him out.
Good the wall is sturdier now, after you fixed it. Hopefully, it will stay put for awhile.
I hope he is doing well.

Tracie

Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #49
harmonysmom
I just wrote to the guy I ordered my crickets from asking where they were. I'm starting to get pretty upset with it but don't want to have to ruin his feedback if it can be handled civilly. If I hear nothing or receive nothing by tomorrow, I'm going up to the pet store and picking up more crickets and those dragon bites like you recommended.

I got a question....the shop that we went to that got the wrong sized crickets in, they have a 3 year old bearded dragon. They kept him because he had a lump on his neck, so they didn't sell him with the other batch. They've had him in river sand, and only a heat lamp ever since he was little. They didn't buy any types of uvb-a lights, or a nighttime light, or anything of the sort, yet, he's extremely healthy. Normal vet visits....is that a good thing? Or were they just lucky?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #50
harmonysmom
I meant to say is that possible to do or were they just lucky. Drat not being allowed to edit posts...:P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!