Feeder Pigs? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
Abby
I personally do not recommend feeding pigs solely - they are very fatty and it isn't the best source of protein. Yes, it is meat and it is protein, but the quality of the protein isn't as great. I've heard that retics fed pigs only tend to run into lower fertility down the line, more females slugging out, etc. Also heard a lot about the stinky runny stool :ack:

I think feeding them occasionally, or right after a female lays is perfectly fine - I just wouldn't recommend feeding pigs every meal. Of course I have no double blind scientific studies to link ya to, sorry

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
ratkingrodents
When your snakes get big enough you really have no choice, but to move up to pigs.

Big female retics can certainly surpass 20 feet on a fairly regular basis. I have seen my share of legitimate 20 footers.

Do you have any idea how many rabbits a 20 foot retic could eat in one meal? LOL.

Also, I am a firm believer that feeding larger prey items to a snake is one of the main determining factors in the snakes growth and ultimate size. If you are trying to grow a true monstrosity of a python you are going to have push the envelope on the size of the prey. I have found that pythons that are fed multiple smaller prey items don't grow nearly as large as those that are fed prey items that require a great deal of effort to swallow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!