Imperial Moth Eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
danthebugman
Imperial Moth Eggs

One of my co-workers found an Imperial Moth (Eacles imperialis) at work today. I put her in a box and took her home intending to take some pics before turning her loose. Well, while in the box she decided to lay some eggs! This has me kind of excited as these are some truely beautiful moths and the catepillars are wicked cool too. Anyone else rear moths/butterflies?

Dan

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
danthebugman
Eggs are developing nicely! I can see the caterpillars developing nicely.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
danthebugman
Eggs hatched!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
LauraB
Now that is cool, Dan! I love seeing those moths here at night. Did you release the 'pillars or are you raising them yourself?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Utta
Awww!!! Cute little catepillars!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
danthebugman
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Now that is cool, Dan! I love seeing those moths here at night. Did you release the 'pillars or are you raising them yourself?
Thanks. I'm giving a couple to a friend so his son can watch them grow and then I may split up the rest, releasing half and keeping half. Haven't decided yet, but I think there's too many for me to keep. Especially once they start getting bigger.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
DustinT
It looks like you have them on a maple leaf. Do they eat maple leaves or are they very picky about what kind of plant that is offered to them?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
danthebugman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
It looks like you have them on a maple leaf. Do they eat maple leaves or are they very picky about what kind of plant that is offered to them?
They didn't seem to eat the maple very well. I tried some oak and others. I think the main issue I was having was keeping the food fresh enough. I was having to change it twice a day. Eventually they all died . Lessons learned and hopefully I'll have another chance.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
DustinT
That's to bad better luck next time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!