QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #71
Heart and Soul Reptiles
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?

7 Ball Pythons
6 Boas
1 Burm
1 Retic
and a partridge in a pear tree (seriously, I have a cockatiel, lol)

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?

Their Personalities mostly

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?

No. Although my husband lays claim to "his" snakes, he has yet to clean a cage or feed a single one.

4. How tall are you?

4' 11" I bet I'm the shortest one here I wear heeled boots like my life depends upon it.

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?

Nope, My Retic could probably eat me if she got the mind to (she's pondered it a few times I think)

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

If you mean when I'm walking down the street I'm less likely to get mugged when I'm carrying an 8 foot retic... then yes!

7. What is your age group?

Early 20's

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship?

No, we have too much other stuff to fight about

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass

My son gets it all!! If he promises to maintain them properly. If he can not maintain them or doesn't wish to keep them, he can sell them for a house payment. I've thought about this a lot

10. Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?

Breeding now, but it started with just having pets. More the balls and boas

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?

I may be single soon sooo... I think that would be the first thing I would say... but I intend whole heartedly to become asexual after this

12. How do your friends view your hobby / deal with your obsession?

1/2 of them buy from me and come to me for advise, the other half wants nothing to do with them. I don't torment the ones that don't like them, I don't want to hear about their dog for hours on end!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #72
Miss Tuniwha

I deal with the ball pythons and boas for their personalities and colours/patterns. Just love em !!!

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?

pfffffft.. you know within 5 minutes of meeting me about my love for the reptiles. Since I am married this is not much of a worry.. but when I started dating him back in the day.. He knew.. :P

they don't care..

lol a couple do like reptiles and have a few.. a couple could care less either way, and a couple started out deathly afraid and now have some sort of critter..

lol, in fact. 2 of my co workers were VERY afraid of snakes and such.. But have greatly improved.. I do a "reptile petting zoo" every so often at my work, so they got to see babies, and lizards and handle ones that were very calm and trustworthy.

one has now TOUCHED a snake.. (which is a HUGE step for her) AND has a young bearded dragon, another now has 3 leopard geckos and is getting a bearded dragon today :P

Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #73
Tiger Lilly

I can add to what Brandi says about bringing friends around. 10 years ago my next door neighbor moved in...invited them to a little get-together, you know, watch a race, grill & drink some beer. She had to use the bathroom and the in me came out when I told her the bathroom was the first door on the left...instead of the second door on the left. She walked right into the snake room & it scared the crap out of her. She now has an 8 yr old boy that always wants to see the snakes but won't come near them when I show him.
She actually HELD one (we got pics); and she's up to holding one 3 times now. Maybe one day her son will grow a set & hold one as well...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #74
dprince

Ball pythons
Kenyan Sand Boas
Corn Snakes

Their colors, their smaller sizes, and with the KSB's, I think it'll be cool to get live young vs. eggs.

Yes, from my kids (to some extent)

4. How tall are you?

5'5"

Yes. And also my hubby is not too keen on me having snakes, so it's partially done out of respect for him (since he lets me keep snakes at all, LOL)

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

I, like most everyone else, want - no, need - snakes I can handle myself.

Mid 30's

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship?

Fortunately, not me. Not yet anyway....

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass

I'm sure it'll pass onto my kids, who love snakes too

I like the variety of colors and combos, and the smaller sizes

11. How do your friends view your hobby / deal with your obsession?

I'm sure lots of people think I'm nuts, because most folks I'm around tend to be mostly afraid of snakes and not understand them. For the people who know me well, they understand and respect it. Most of my kids' friends think I'm "pretty cool" for keeping snakes. Honestly, most of my "outside" friends are really not into reptiles at all, and it's in the different communities where I "reside" that I find understanding and sympathy, LOL!!

Old 07-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #75
gant77
Ball Pythons-6

I saw a Albino BP in Reptiles Mag.

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)
NO
4. How tall are you?
5'4

Somewhat
No
15-25
26-40
41-50
Older than that, but none of your business!
None of you're business, no matter how old I am!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #76
AbsoluteApril
I have a question!

13. Were you considered a tomboy growing up?

I would say that yes, I was. I loved to play in dirt, catch bugs and just wasn't a very girly-girl unless I had to be. I did play with Barbies but they were always getting caught by my Transformers and put into lego prisons. (am I giving away too much about myself?) lol

Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #77
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Yohn View Post
I have a question!

I would say that yes, I was. I loved to play in dirt, catch bugs and just wasn't a very girly-girl unless I had to be. I did play with Barbies but they were always getting caught by my Transformers and put into lego prisons. (am I giving away too much about myself?) lol
HA HA HA HA. Quit talking about me. LOL

Tonka trucks baby!!!! and G.I. Joe's!!!

I am still a "tom boy" gimme a tree.. I will climb it!!!! Show me a puddle.. I will jump into it.. LOL

ok..

so maybe I am just a 5 year old. LOL

Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #78
Crazy4Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Yohn View Post
I have a question!

Kind of. I liked being outdoors; running in the rain, mud, trees... and I still do! Although I did play with dolls some.

Funnily enough, I was OBSESSED with dinosaurs for a few years of my childhood. I knew every species, I had a million plastic dino figures. I also had a few plastic dragons. Who would imagine, all these years later, that I would still love dragons--bearded ones!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #79
Kiote_9

2 Colombian boas, 2 jungle-corns, 2 ball pythons, 1 spotted python, 1 Burmese python, 1 milk snake on the way.

My kids chose the littler half of them and I prefer the larger snakes for myself….although the spotted was my choice cause she is so aggressive for being so tiny.

I have three sons who are snake lovers and my b/f is learning more about them all the time. He actually helps with the larger snakes more than the smaller ones.

4. How tall are you?

5’10”

The older I get the more I like the larger snakes.

No.

15-25
26-40
41-50
Older than that, but none of your business!
None of you're business, no matter how old I am!

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaly ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??

My best friend is terrified of them and won’t come into my home, other than that no problems.

My kids get the all the pets, spiders and snakes.

My snakes are pets only.

Openly and up front. “I keep snakes as pets, no dogs and no cats. If you don’t like them tell me NOW.”

If they don’t like snakes I go to their house, the ones that like them go to the reptile shows with me!

Yes, I climbed trees, played football and basketball, caught wild snakes, all that fun stuff!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #80
timebider
Tomboy all the way. My favorite activities were populating my Fisher-Price Village with whatever insects I could catch and pegging my brother with spiky green gumballs from my tree house (I HIGHLY recommend building your tree house in a sweet gum tree, if one is available). Trucks, yeah. Playing "war," yeah. I did play some with Barbies; I loved to decapitate them and tear them limb from limb. I will NEVER hear the end of shearing my grandmother's collector Barbie like a sheep LOL. To this day I do not own a single pair of high heels or makeup compact.

Great thread, BTW - I'm enjoying getting to know my fellow female herpers better!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!