Reptiles Cause lung problem? EMERGENCY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
kmarsh
Reptiles Cause lung problem? EMERGENCY

I am sitting here totally devasted this morning so I reach out to my friends here at Fauna. Is there ANYBODY that has heard or ANYONE or ANYTHING that could cause a person to have a lung disease from reptiles?
I have been diagnosed with a Idiotic Interstitial Lung Disease. I am 49 female never smoked and now have a lung disease that we have no idea what is causing it. My local lung doctor could not come up with a answer so they sent me to Emory University in Atlanta and yesterday after some more tests they have no answers so the answer was to get rid of all my pets. I had originally asked and he told me that he didnt think the reptiles were a problem then yesterday he says " Oh yes definately the reptiles" I have looked on line and I cant find anything so I decided to reach out to the experts (IMO) I just cant see getting rid of my reptiles on just a feeling or a possibility.
I want to cooperate with my doctors to make life better for me but the thought of life without my babies is just killing me today. I would rather get rid of my kids first <weg> because to me that would be easier. (they are 19 and driving me crazy) But in all seriousness if I was sure then I would have to be like I have asked "What if its not them?" "How can we know for sure" " If I took them out of the house for a while how long would it be before we would know?" There are no answers to any of those questions.
Any information would help, Please... I feel I needed to reach out here in case someone else had to make this choice. If you had a unexplainable lung disease could You get rid of your reptiles on the possibility that they "may" be the cause?
Thanks, Kathy Marsh

Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
angie.h
So Sorry to hear that Kathy...REALLY sorry. I don't know what I'd do....ask your doc to explain in layman's terms how the animals are linked [ in his opinion [ to your condition. Is it something coming off them and being breathed in through the air...sand in any cages that you would be breathing in,etc.? Be respectful but persistent...how is it linked...what is the outlook for you with this diagnosis? That is the question. Your health is of prime concern. I have never heard of this diagnosis but you should ask this question in as many reptile forums as possible. I wish the best for you.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Shadera
I've heard of birds causing issues with lungs (birdkeeper's lung), but never reptiles? I hope they sort it out, so that you can keep your babies.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
kmarsh
Thanks Angi. There in is the delima. Because it has been shown that with birds there is a link, feces dander and such but in reptiles I cant find anything that suggests it and he is only going on that more or less process of elimination. I asked all that of him and he said cleaning the cage and breathing the feces or maybe something on the scales but he has NOTHING concrete to back this up with just that he is putting it down that he suggests this and its up to me if I do or dont do this. Of course I am getting the flack from all that dont understand or like my reptile keeping. But I want someone to tell me that there is definately a link before I take such a drastic measure as giving up the one thing I love the most in life. I agreed to get the one bird out even though I distanced myself from him immediately when we realized I had a lung problem but the flack I am getting over the reptiles is killing me. Some of the reptile despisers think that I should "do this immediately because the doctor says, and that if there is any chance I should get rid of them to save my life". To me I have no life without the love of my reptiles there. No sand in any of my cages. The outlook is a double lung transplant in the future as this thing progresses and its not progressing fast that we can tell. We have been tracking it for about 1 1/2 years. Bit worse in last year.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
deborahbroadus
What kind of substrate do you use? It could be linked to that.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
angie.h
I see what you mean...I would personally rehome the animals ASAP if I knew for a certainty...I did look up on line and I see that there can be many causes,including birds...possibly then reptiles as well ?....If you do have to place them somewhere,try not to let it get you emotionally paralyzed. You need your strength for fighting the disease. Keep your self surrounded with good people,family,friends.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
hhmoore
I'm going to guess that you were diagnosed with idiopathic interstitial lung disease (not idiotic).
In simplest terms, it's basically a process that leads to scarring of the lung tissue. Sometimes specific causes can be found, sometimes not. While eliminating the cause, and meds, can slow the progress of the scarring, it isn't a reversible thing.
As far as how reptiles might be associated, we'd have to take a closer look at what you keep, and how you do things...including what cleaning/disinfecting agents you use.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
kmarsh
Substates that I use or have used is paper towels for the beardies newspaper for the iguanas. When the turtles are inside I use newspapers in their area. Snakes are on paper towels. So most everyone is either on paper towels and/or newspaper. I had some geckos come in with sand but it seemed to be too dust for my liking so I put them on paper towels as well.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
kmarsh
Cleaning has always been done with removal of dirtied papers and then spray down with either 10% bleach solution or a product called wipe out. Yes You are right with the idiopathic, I think to me it just feels idiotic. Over the last year I have distanced myself with the cage cleaning because of the problems I am having and the thought process seems to be that "something with the reptiles may be causing it" and that I may be more sensitive to something than others could be. ( such as why some have birds with no problems and other do)

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
What kind of substrate do you use? It could be linked to that.

Do you keep tortoises with hay as the substrate? Moldy hay is another one of those organic substrates that might be a cause. Ammonia gasses are also dangerous. Do you breed your own rodents? If so, are they kept within the house? Any breathable dust particles or chemicals could be at fault, even organic ones.

Getting back to mold...it might be a good idea for you to rip off all the drywall in your reptile room and replace it with the more "moisture-damage-proof" drywall. Bacterial or fungal overgrowth within the walls could be something to consider.

All this however, would have to be from long term chronic exposure. How long have you been keeping reptiles? I don't really see how reptiles could be the direct cause of this, however they might be an indirect cause. Again, the substrate, rat/mouse breeders, mold, etc...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!