need help with dubias??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
westsidedragons
need help with dubias???

Ok I just got a very small colony of dubias from a friend. It contains 2 males and 9 females and 4 babies lol. My question is how long will it take to establish when it is this small? He over fed out of the breeding bin was feeding all his males and females. I really don't want to wait to long for this "colony" to get going. Should I buy more or just wait...

Old 10-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidedragons View Post
Ok I just got a very small colony of dubias from a friend. It contains 2 males and 9 females and 4 babies lol. My question is how long will it take to establish when it is this small? He over fed out of the breeding bin was feeding all his males and females. I really don't want to wait to long for this "colony" to get going. Should I buy more or just wait...

It would depend on how soon you want to be able to start feeding from your colony and how much you will be feeding off. I have found that more is better and you can always sell off any extras. Also, if you pick up more that came from a different source you would then have different (for lack of a better term) bloodlines.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
westsidedragons
So is having a different bloodline a bad thing?? Like right now my female beardie is mostly on crix and silks she laid 2 clutches so far.. so I thought dubias will get her fat pads back up since there getting really depleted right now. She's been eating like a pig. I've been breeding crix for awhile now like 3 years but nothing huge about a thousand at a time. Since crix are easy so I thought dubias would be to. Just looking for a better stable for them. How would I know when the females are mature to start breeding. The males have there wings and some of the females are about 2 inches the rest of the females are 1 1/2 inches????? The person I got them from and left them outside and it killed most of them he said.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
snowgyre
It's going to take a while to get a colony established with so few initially. I ordered 100 mixed nymphs (which I allowed to mature) and 10 adults to start with, and it still took a good 6 months before I had a steady supply. The more dubias you start with, the better the long-term genetics, and the faster your colony will get established. I recommend ordering at least 100 mixed nymphs to throw in there. Adult females are worth their weight in gold, and I certainly wouldn't feed them to the bearded, considering you'll get 20 nymphs per female a month generally.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!