Mutts, and Morphs.. - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #31
Amelanistic Orca
Nice chatting with ya Jay.. Have a nice night my man..

Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #32
ReptileJay
Oh... I forgot to touch on the cannibalistic nature of King Snakes...
The are not social animals. They do not often encounter one another outside of breeding, and when they do I'm sure the occasional cannibalism occurs. During breeding season in the wild, they are coming off a hibernation and it seems likely that the overwhelming urge to breed, combined with pheromones, overtakes any natural urge to consume a would be mate.

Now... I am NO expert in King Snakes, as they are not one of the species I currently work with, so if anyone would like to correct me if I'm incorrect about this I would greatly appreciate it, however this would be my initial "guess" on the subject...

Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #33
Amelanistic Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post
Oh... I forgot to touch on the cannibalistic nature of King Snakes...
The are not social animals. They do not often encounter one another outside of breeding, and when they do I'm sure the occasional cannibalism occurs. During breeding season in the wild, they are coming off a hibernation and it seems likely that the overwhelming urge to breed, combined with pheromones, overtakes any natural urge to consume a would be mate.

Now... I am NO expert in King Snakes, as they are not one of the species I currently work with, so if anyone would like to correct me if I'm incorrect about this I would greatly appreciate it, however this would be my initial "guess" on the subject...
Please tell me you can see more than a Kingsnake there?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #34
ReptileJay
Probably a Hybrid King snake, but a King nonetheless. I'm not capable of identifying the exact cross performed to produce such a hybrid, as I am no expert in King snakes.

I thought your point was that Kings are cannibalistic by nature and yet they are capable of reproducing despite their instinct to consume one another.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #35
Amelanistic Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post
Probably a Hybrid King snake, but a King nonetheless. I'm not capable of identifying the exact cross performed to produce such a hybrid, as I am no expert in King snakes.

I thought your point was that Kings are cannibalistic by nature and yet they are capable of reproducing despite their instinct to consume one another.
That is a king/bull cross.. Who-da thunk it? Wild caught and still thriving and looking at breeding in captivity.. Is this worthy to you? What about the Alaskan bear that got plucked thanks to a lovely human; I betcha he was viable; or she? It/them being pulled from the wild is the abomination.. It/they shoulda had it's turn; be it as it may.. Now some crosses are in human hand's. Probably the better for it...... I'm not sure where we are going with this disagreement; but I'd still like for you to read the initial opener for the thread; my statement which you called ignorant; and tell me why you would say that? That's all. Like I said, you seem educated?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #36
ReptileJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pecanic View Post
I'd still like for you to read the initial opener for the thread; my statement which you called ignorant; and tell me why you would say that? That's all. Like I said, you seem educated?

This was your initial statement :
Quote:
I'd have to say; "yes, you're on a different page?" This is how new life is created/new species? Jellllllllo(Helllllo)?? It's what keep's this 'world' spinnin'..
Bold section is what I am referring to as an ignorant statement.

The statement is, in my opinion, ignorant in that hybridization is NOT the primary method by which new species are produced, and is in NO way a method by which new life is created.

The fact that such a statement was made is not why I would have even gone out of my way to say anything, the slight condescending tone that accompanied that statement required my stepping in. While I understand that I DO have a strong tendency to be condescending (as much as I sometimes TRY to avoid it), I do my best not to do so when discussing topics I am not fairly well versed in.

Side note:
New species are in many cases formed through stochastic mutational events that occur within the genomes of existing organisms, coupled with the combination of selective pressure and random genetic drift. MANY different molecular mechanisms play a role in the evolutionary process...

Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #37
Amelanistic Orca
Bolded; generally speaking of course.. May I get you a tissue now since I seem to have hurt your feeling's by being condescending to another for remark's I didn't like about ball python's.. Or can we be friend's?? Lol.. I love going to iron man show's; thanks for flexing; I'm still unimpressed..

Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #38
ReptileJay
I think your last post did not post properly... I don't see anything bolded...

Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #39
Amelanistic Orca
I think we both "cornfused" now.. By bolded; I meant my "ignorant" statement; the one you bolded... Headin to bed Big J.. Great conversing with ya'.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #40
ReptileJay
Quote:
Bolded; generally speaking of course.. May I get you a tissue now since I seem to have hurt your feeling's by being condescending to another for remark's I didn't like about ball python's.. Or can we be friend's?? Lol.. I love going to iron man show's; thanks for flexing; I'm still unimpressed..
My intention has not been to impress anyone, it is (in almost all cases) to educate. My feelings have not been hurt, and there are no hard feelings of any kind on my end of this. I just wish that there was a way to allay the common misconceptions many people have about life in general. It's amazing, the gap of understanding between the vast majority of people and those of us in "Academia"... Especially when it comes to topics such as evolution.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!