FL Game Fish and Wildlife Conservation Holding Contest for Burmese - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
The Gopher Tortoise is now protected from being plowed under by developers, thank goodness!
Maybe on paper. You don't know squat.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
snowgyre
Show me evidence that my evidence is wrong, and then you are perhaps justified in saying that.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #23
brd7666
Quote:
Show me evidence that my evidence is wrong, and then you are perhaps justified in saying that.
I've lived here for 35 years, and I've watched it happen the whole time. Go back to the rock you crawled out from under.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
snowgyre
Wow, in what past life have I offended you for you to act so rudely? I certainly hope you treat folks in real life with more respect than that you have shown here today. The old "I've lived here forever and you don't know squat" doesn't really hold much weight unless you have evidence. I'm a scientist, show me proof and I'll admit that I was misinformed. Until then, I will stand firm with the evidence that is presented to me. I can't tell you how many people who have "lived here forever" told me that brown water snakes are water moccasins or some other outrageous fallacy. I don't know you from Adam's cat, and you certainly haven't given me any reason to trust that you are informed on these issues.

It is a shame that Florida only lists the gopher tortoise as a species of special concern. I remember working with the guys down in Georgia at the Joseph J. Jones Ecological Research Center at Ichauway. They are a poster child for fire managed systems. It's a lot easier to get people to protect tortoises than it is snakes (like eastern diamondback rattlesnake, indigo snake, etc.), but protecting tortoises does end up helping the native snakes too.

Back on topic though, I do hope they end up getting a few pythons, but I don't think they're going to be that successful for a variety of reasons. But heck, one less Burmese in the Everglades is a good thing. Next they need to start on all those cichlids down there, I saw more nonnative fish than native when I was there.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
brd7666
Quote:
Wow, in what past life have I offended you for you to act so rudely? I certainly hope you treat folks in real life with more respect than that you have shown here today. The old "I've lived here forever and you don't know squat" doesn't really hold much weight unless you have evidence. I'm a scientist, show me proof and I'll admit that I was misinformed. Until then, I will stand firm with the evidence that is presented to me. I can't tell you how many people who have "lived here forever" told me that brown water snakes are water moccasins or some other outrageous fallacy. I don't know you from Adam's cat, and you certainly haven't given me any reason to trust that you are informed on these issues.

It is a shame that Florida only lists the gopher tortoise as a species of special concern. I remember working with the guys down in Georgia at the Joseph J. Jones Ecological Research Center at Ichauway. They are a poster child for fire managed systems. It's a lot easier to get people to protect tortoises than it is snakes (like eastern diamondback rattlesnake, indigo snake, etc.), but protecting tortoises does end up helping the native snakes too.

Back on topic though, I do hope they end up getting a few pythons, but I don't think they're going to be that successful for a variety of reasons. But heck, one less Burmese in the Everglades is a good thing. Next they need to start on all those cichlids down there, I saw more nonnative fish than native when I was there.
I don't care who you are, who you think you are, or who you want to be. And, I could care less about the negative karma you left me. You don't have a shred of evidence what so ever.

What the law states or what is suppose to happen is not necessarily reality. I've seen it, and I've lived it.

It is you that doesn't have a clue as to what reality is. Now, if you will, go find your rock.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
I've lived here for 35 years, and I've watched it happen the whole time. Go back to the rock you crawled out from under.
Warning: That's enough, fella! That sort of crap towards another member is NOT welcome on this site, and is a fast ticket out of here if it continues.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
cajunreptiles
Quote:
The Gopher Tortoise is now protected from being plowed under by developers, thank goodness!

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...sco-relocation

Ultimately, all of our conservation issues boil down to too many people on the planet. We need to slow down on reproduction and become more sustainable in our practices, period. Wildlife wouldn't be suffering so badly if there was actually space for them left. The following image represents our current situation quite well.
we need to "slow down" what so you want the gov to tell us how many kids we can have thats BS and un-american, if that were to happen and we just let all the animals run wild then in the very near future there will be no humans. Yeah it sucks that the aniamls natural habitats were over run but you cant be to pro for it since you keep reptiles in cages thats not "the right thing"to do. i mean how would you feel being locked up in a cage all day and night and not able to do what you were born to do. Im from fl orginally and i dont have any exp with the wildlfe i.e. snakes being in my backyard and endangering me but i also left 8 yrs ago for the army so alot has changed since then. Drastic measures need to be taken for us to live safely instead of living in fear that our kids could get killed by a 20ft snake.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunreptiles View Post
we need to "slow down" what so you want the gov to tell us how many kids we can have thats BS and un-american, if that were to happen and we just let all the animals run wild then in the very near future there will be no humans. Yeah it sucks that the aniamls natural habitats were over run but you cant be to pro for it since you keep reptiles in cages thats not "the right thing"to do. i mean how would you feel being locked up in a cage all day and night and not able to do what you were born to do. Im from fl orginally and i dont have any exp with the wildlfe i.e. snakes being in my backyard and endangering me but i also left 8 yrs ago for the army so alot has changed since then. Drastic measures need to be taken for us to live safely instead of living in fear that our kids could get killed by a 20ft snake.

... Lol.

Edit:

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
JCCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunreptiles View Post
I'm not sure how to respond to this, honestly. There is so much ignorance spewed forth here that it is hard to grasp it all in one sitting. I mean, wow, just wow. I'm sure the Army is proud to have you representing them.

Chris

Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
cajunreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
I'm sure the Army is proud to have you representing them.

Chris
yes the army is proud of what ive done lets see deployed to iraq-1 afhgan-1 hati-1 africa-1. I think its funny that i get down graded for being in the army and actually doing something with my life. I never disrepected you in any way shape or form. Alot of you think you rule the world cuz youve been on this site for almost 10 yrs. the only reason i havent been on here for that long is cuz i had more important things to do with my life then talking shit on a website.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!