Why I hate the press. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
SCReptiles
Why I hate the press.

Amy Pollick from THE DECATUR DAILY called me on Monday. I was very busy cleaning my snake cages, but I took about 15 to 20 minutes to talk to her. Some stupid redneck in that area had killed a “velvet rattlesnake” near his house and he wanted an article in the paper about it. I tried to discourage her from doing it, but when I seen she was determined to do it, I gave several usable quotes to discourage people from killing indigenous snakes. So as to make sure there was no misunderstandings, I told her that I wanted some quotes in the article describing the actual nature of the snake and not what these morons were spouting out. She ran the article with no true information about the animals and even quoted a fool who said these snakes will not wait, they come and attack you. I have included her email, if anyone else is as troubled by this as me by this, please drop a line and let her know.

This is the email I sent to Amy and the author.

TO: Amy.Pollick@decaturdaily.com rthomas@decaturdaily.com

Amy, I could not be more displeased with your article. Why did I take time out of my schedule to explain why snakes should not be killed, just to have you print an article praising the actions of the man killing a snake? The information was inaccurate. The snake was not coming for the girl and the comment by the neighbor was complete ignorance. The snake had ample opportunity to bite both children and instead left them in peace. You choose to print a quote from someone who has never studied snakes and omit all comments from me, even though I have 15 years experience with the animals. Articles like this are the reason we hate to work with the press. I wish you had not sent me this, I would have been much happier never knowing what was written. ----Chuck

Old 06-29-2005, 02:15 AM   #2
Scott Nellis
Talking Freakin MORONS!!

Geeeezzzz, I HATE reading lies and falsehoods that gets published in a public newspaper and passes for the truth! I guess we all know the reporters feelings about snakes. I hope those redneck morons have their house invaded by hundreds of mice and rats!!! It would serve them right!!! BTW, my understanding of timber rattlesnakes is that they are calm unless provoked. Supposedly, they are more aggressive than other rattlers, but you have to harrass them to find out!!

Scott Nellis

Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
SCReptiles
Ok, I think we should call the dogs off Amy, but don’t let up on Ronnie. In fact, I will try to get his home number so we can call him…..very late at night.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
Rebel Dragons
It's simple business. The more dramatic the article the more papers they sell. I am suprised they didn't run a picture of a snake in strike posture. The press will lie, cheat and steal to make a few pennies. Sadly the animals have to pay the price.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
sschind
I hope you take her up on her suggestion to write a letter to the editor. It sounds like she may have been nothing more than a go between although if that was the case she should have pointed it out to you that she wasn't actually writing the article.

In out local paper last week they showed a picture of a man kissing his cockatoo. Not simply on the top of the beak but the bird has his beak open and it looked more like a french kiss to me. In the caption they say how he loves his bird and he goes practically everywhere with him. They will print pictures like this and the next day they will run an article on the dangers of owning exotic pets conveniently forgetting to mention that it is the pet owners stupidity that causes most of the problems. It is to the point where I would trust a used car salesman and even most lawyers over any member of the press. My apologies to the used car salesmen and the lawyers in the group.

Steve

Old 06-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Vince
stop whining and complaining about the news artical. Something must be going right in that area if that young girl knew to get away from a rattlesnake and take her little brother with her.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
ecmorrell
*Snarl*

I don't know where people get off killing every single snake they see. I hope those people get terrible rat infestations.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #8
Mister Internet
Direct link in case someone needs it:
http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturd...28/snake.shtml

I am writing to that R. Thomas guy...

Old 06-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Cat_72
I posted an email to both of them.

Do you suppose they ever considered all the drunked-up idiots that are going to out "rattler hunting" after reading that article? And then one of them will do something stupid, and get bitten, and so on and so forth.....idiots.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
Vince
you guys are so funny. that snake could of killed those kids. the guy was an idiot for using a gun but not for killing the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!