What kind of lizard should I get? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Tears_and_Fangs
What kind of lizard should I get?

Well, today I'm prolly gonna get a uromastyx or a nile monitor to replace "Spike". (Gotta see whats available first, however.)

See, I was wondering which one would make a better pet....because I really like both of them (and have already did my research on them this time)

I'll let you guys vote on this one

Old 09-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
Junkyard
Depends on what size you are wanting the animal to reach when adult?

Nile Monitors get really big and can have quite the temper if they are not handled on a regular basis. Uromastyx are much smaller and they are eaasier to handle because of their size, figure about the size of a bearded dragon. But they also have a nasty bite.

I think you should decide what you want instead of having us vote. Some of us can give a nile monitor their own backyard to live. Others can only house a uromastyx comfortably in a big tank. The question you should be asking is to yourself.

Do you have the room to house a nile monitor that will be 5 1/2 feet? Or will you be better of housing a uromastyx that will reach 14 inches in length?

Old 09-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Wilomn
I would recommend staying away from the niles. There are other smaller monitors that are much better as pets. Niles almost always get aggressive.

Uros rarely bite and are well desposed towards handling. I'd go that route if I were you. Do a nile in a few years when you have some experiance.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Cat_72
Can I ask where you are planning to buy whichever one you choose? I guess I'm just curious....especially after what happened with the last poor critter you bought in a pet shop.....

Old 09-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
aimee_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Can I ask where you are planning to buy whichever one you choose? I guess I'm just curious....especially after what happened with the last poor critter you bought in a pet shop.....
I was wondering the same thing. I think you should definately go for a reputable breeder instead of a pet shop. I'd stick to a leo as a 1st reptile, but that's just me

Old 09-18-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Tears_and_Fangs
Don't worry guys, were trying a different petstore.

I heard the nile monitors get up to 7ft., we went and looked at it today and its just a little thing right now. But I also heard they were more aggressive.

On the other hand the uro would be alot less difficult to care for (due to his size) plus my boyfriend really fell in love with that thing,lol.

So we decided on the uro, we'll prolly be getting him soon. =D

Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
aliceinwl
With both these species you are also going to want to consider housing costs.

When I was your age I really wanted one of those little niles too But, looking back I was nowhere near ready to handle an animal who would eventually get close to 6 ft long, tend to be aggressive, and actually capable of causing serious injury. You'd have to basically be able to dedicate a room, or have a large out door pen to do the animal justice as an adult. You'd also have to have a fair amount of stability. For example, if going away to college is on the horizon, what would become of your now quite large, and difficult to place monitor? Then think of the logistics of feeding such a large lizard, cleaning up after it and heating and lighting its enclosure.

Uros in petstores are almost always imports. Most are improperly cared for and stressed. This stress and poor care often causes parasites to get out of control, so be sure to budget in veterinary care. Think 60 gallon minimum tank size for most adults. Also start pricing lighting. Uros need UV and lots of heat. You're going to want to have highs in the 120's (you'll need thermometers to monitor this) and lows in the 80's. When I caught my chuckwalla (similar heating / lighting needs to uros), I ended up paying close to $200 for all the lighting and housing supplies, not including the tank!

If you've got the budget, I'd go with the uro over the nile. But, I think that it would be worth buying a uro from a breeder. Vet bills add up fast! And, if you end up having to tube feed him and administer medications, you're going to have to invest a lot of time and money. Here's a uro carsheet http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm it's a "must read" if you want to do justice to the animal. Having a good set-up before you bring your uro home is essential to getting them acclimated successfully so be sure to get the supplies before the lizard.

-Alice

Old 09-23-2005, 02:16 AM   #8
Matt Haines
Take it from me, if you want a Uro then I would also suggest a reputable breeder. I know first hand of the downfalls of not doing such. I bought one about 5 years ago at a show only to have it refuse to eat, turn sickly, and die. All of this happened within the span of a couple of weeks. Pet shops are crap, and I would suggest staying away from relatively new or inexperienced breeders that have their hands in everything( i.e. they breed beardies, geckos, monitors, uros, chameleons, plus many others.) as i don't think they are most likely fully knowledgeable about everything they breed other than the $$$.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:56 AM   #9
Tears_and_Fangs
Hm, I may talk him into getting something else before tomorrow. They did have a tegu, baby beardies (they was so tiny though!), iggys (we both already have one, so were looking for something new) A cuban knight anole...hmmm...

They also had a few snakes...but he cant have one. lol

Old 09-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #10
Lucille
You say you have done research, but I see a lot of wavering and impulsivity here. Perhaps you could put this decision off, attend a reptile show, and see full grown specimens and get experienced advice.

Almost any lizard is an investment in money and time; and they can be your pets for quite some time. It is worth putting off the choice until you are sure of what YOU want (in other words, do not let US vote, it is YOUR choice).

I think a leo or a beardie would be good choices. I find the bearded dragons to have quite the personality; and if you look at the leo photos on this site you will find many that are beautiful and unusual.

But when it comes right down to it, you have to decide which kind of reptile you want to keep.

I too think that some local pet shops are a second to the many excellent vendors you will find here online at Fauna. There are in fact excellent pet shops and I know of several in my area, but they come with a long history and references. Should you decide to go the pet shop route, get those references prior to walking in the shop, it is worth your time.

The shipping cost of online purchases has to be considered, but you are getting a companion that can live 5-15 years and more, consider the costs an investment and go for top quality, healthy animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!