Calling all electrical ppl - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
LeosForLess
Calling all electrical ppl

So i just took out a fan outta an old comp. Its the fam and 2 wires stickin outta it, how to i put this in my hova bator? thanks, Paul

Old 02-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Jodi L Aherns
If you put that or any fan in there it will dry all of your eggs out.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
BalloonzForU
You don't want a fan in the hovabator.

I think you saw where Jeremy was saying to use the fan for a home made incubator, but that's for something larger then the hovabator. Since the hot air rises in the wine cool unit that I want to build mine out of, the top shelves would be warmer than the lower. The fan would circulate the air to keep the whole thing the same temp. You don't need it in the hovabator.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
Jeremy Letkey
Steve, without knowing exactly what you have, I don't think that anyone can give you any advice. On top of that, no one wants to be at fault if you miswire something and it shorts out or worse...

On another note.
I use sealed containers. I do not worry about the eggs drying out because of the fan. The moisture is trapped in an airtight container.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Jodi L Aherns
He has the little styrofoam havabator.No fan needed.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
LeosForLess
O, i set oen container on top of a nother and the bottom was 87 and the top was 92. Thats just why i wanted it. Sombody is getting rid of a mini fridge, would i be able to cut out a section of the door and replace it with a glass panel?

Old 02-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
groovygeckos
I was actually going to try a mini-fan in my hovabator. Sealed containers here too. Im using a proportional thermostat in there, and the temps were allover the place even with that.

It seems the placement of the probe, is pretty important though. If I put it where the eggs go, the temp bounces ALOT more because the heat has to travel so far to be registered by the probe. Then its up and down as the heater warms and cools. It would have been better with the wafer. LOL

Then I tried putting the probe closer to the heating element, and had to set the temp much higher (since it was near the top), but it didnt bounce nearly as much down below. The thermo had more control over the heat that way.

All of the heat in those things stays in the top, and only radiates downward, so I took off the plastic window last year, and just aimed a fan at the hole from afar. Believe it or not, the temps stayed alot better. When it wasnt too hot in here that is

I agree w/ Jeremy, I would hate to even possibly be the cause of an accident, Sorry bud.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!