Crossbreeding piebald with albino balls - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-30-2003, 05:37 AM   #11
Dembinski Reptiles
No problem Rich. I think this thread has some use for someone trying to understand genetics in what I like to call "man made morphs" as well as a single simple recessive mutation (albinos, Pieds, blue lighting vent holes, etc). Thanks for adding that coin toss example !! Sometimes its hard to put into words on how all these combos come out. If you think double hets are hard to describe, try the triple and quad hets !!!! Ouch !!! Someone will just have to give me a call on those. Too much typing for me.

Thanks,

Joe Dembinski

Old 01-30-2003, 08:37 AM   #12
The BoidSmith
Thanks for the very well laid-out responses. After looking at the combinations plus the odds (luck = statistics!) of those happening, crossbreeding the two morphs doen's make much sense from a business perspective. Let me rephrase that, it does only if you are the one selling 2-3 pairs at $30,000 each. It doesn't make economic sense for the person that buys the babies. If you are going to invest $30,000 in a pair of snakes IMHO you are better off buying a pair of albinos for $5,000 and a pair of piebalds for $25,000.

Just my thoughts.

Old 01-30-2003, 05:39 PM   #13
NEWReptiles
Go ahead R.Z.

We will find it

Old 01-31-2003, 11:28 AM   #14
reptilemama
The way I see it, if you buy an albino and a pied, you still would have to breed them together, keep the double het babies, and when they are old enough, breed them together and hope for an albino pied. If you buy the double hets, you're that much farther ahead of the game. Or, you could always breed the double hets to an albino, and get some albinos that are poss het pieds. Those babies would give you a better chance of getting pied albinos when they are bred, if they are true hets. Either way, it's a lot of work to hope you luck into getting what you want. But if you want to make albino pieds, or any other combination, that's the only way to do it.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:35 PM   #15
BrianB
Buying double hets does save several years on a project, but are they worth $30K? Considering the average clutch size for balls seems to be around 4 to 6, and we're working with a one in sixteen chance of getting that albino pied, it's not likely to happen. The rest of the possibilities are either albinos that are possible het pied, pieds that are possible het albino, and about nine normals that might be het for either or both, and have a low chance of being normals. Are any of the other possible results besides pied albino going to be worth enough in three years to earn back the money on the parents?

That's tough to say, b/c some hets and even possible hets command insane prices in the ball python market. Still, it seems to me there are better ways to invest $30k into a breeding project. Putting that much money into a single pair of animals is taking on a huge amount of risk.

It'd probably be better to buy several albinos and several pieds and make several sets of double hets yourself to breed together, as that one in sixteen chance is a lot more likely with the more eggs you can hatch out. You'd lose time on producing that albino pied, but have a lot better odds in the long run. Plus, you can sell your own excess double hets off for a nice price.

Old 01-31-2003, 04:09 PM   #16
The BoidSmith
Brian,

Those were my thoughts when I posted this thread. It doesn't make much sense from strictly a business perspective, unless of course you are the one selling the double hets.

Best regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!