quick question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Mojo&Thor
quick question

what are those sticky pads you put on the floor to catch escaped crickets called? I cant remember and anyone know were to buy them? How well do they work? Thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Robust_Beardies
I think what you are referring to are rat glue traps.....you can get them at any home supply store like Home Depot or Lowe's. I think even Walmart might have them but not sure. You just have to watch it they are very sticky and don't let anything else touch them IE dogs,cats, your dragon! Hope that helps.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Mojo&Thor
Just out of curiosity, what if a dragon was to get stuck on one how would you get it off him?

Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
Cat_72
It would NOT be easy. Those things are dangerously sticky, and simply pulling them off would very likely result in injury to the dragon.

The only effective method I've found is to rub something like olive oil or vegetable oil gently but firmly into the crack between the area stuck on and where it is free....very slowly pull it back just a tiny bit, and repeat, repeat, repeat until you get it free.

The only other "sticky traps" I have seen are designed to be flea traps....there is a small light over them, I believe, designed to create warmth or something and attract the fleas to their death. Smaller, more expensive....and don't know how effective they would be either really. When I've had cricket escapes, I usually find them climbing up the walls....and my cats hunts them and eats them. LOL.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Robust_Beardies
When we have loose crickets, they either reappear is search of food and moisture or simple dry out from lack thereof.

Could you use rubbing alcohol or maybe nail polish remover to help eat away at the glue if someone were to become "victim" to it's stickiness? I'm not sure if that will hurt the dragon, but if you were to use small amount and not let it ingest it . . . ?

Old 06-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
kgymn
Has anyone tried fly traps? I know they make sticky fly traps, and as they're also designed for insects that may be far less sticky than the rodent ones, but still get the job done as far as crickets are concerned.

~Katy

Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Mojo&Thor
ya when my crickets escape they usually just die off after a few days but I have 3 roommates and im pretty sure they hate seeing crickets run arond there room so im just trying to see if maybe this catches most of the crickets before they run out of my room in the middle of the night.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Beardiepal
I have no idea what you guys are talking about !!! Never use something that will put your dragons in harms way...what is your problem with crickets??? I have never had a problem...please explain more. Take good care Beth

Old 06-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
kgymn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiepal
I have no idea what you guys are talking about !!! Never use something that will put your dragons in harms way...what is your problem with crickets??? I have never had a problem...please explain more. Take good care Beth
The problem is when they escape and wander around your house 24/7 chirping, and annoying you and worse, roommates. Sometimes even when you're really careful a few escape, and it can be hard to catch them especially when you're trying to prevent more from escaping.

~Katy

Old 06-13-2008, 02:41 AM   #10
LadyGecko
LOL
I actually like the chirping of crickets and as long as they are not crawling on me when I am sleeping-a few loose ones never bother me

I also have cats that love to hunt and eat any strays so they don't stay loose for very long

I agree- never put anything like nail polish remover or alcohol on your beardie or any other lizard

In the warmer weather to prevent escapees in the house when you are transfering from the cricket container to a shaker/feed bag-do it outside and any strays will wander off into the grass

Sandy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!