[WANTED] Cheese Sauce recipe - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Uroboros
[WANTED] Cheese Sauce recipe

I know I can google crap, but this is more fun.

My cheese sauce always turns out to be milk and butter with a lump of melted cheese floating in it.

WTF am I doing wrong????

TIA,

Erik

Old 05-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Shadera
Do you do a rue first?

I mix my butter with flour over heat until it starts to brown a bit, then slowly add milk whisking well to get out any lumps and cook until it thickens. Then you can add whatever cheese you like.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
draigen
I do pretty much the same thing Shadera does. The key is to sit there and babysit the rue, and not rush it. You also need to let it boil for at least a minute after you add the milk, then reduce the heat. And when you add the cheese, shred it first. It will melt faster and you will have less clumps.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Miss Tuniwha
oooohhh

Ancient Chinese Secret!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Lucille
I don't do a roux usually. I will just use a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup. Unless I am making mac and cheese. (I know this is a terrible thing to say on a recipe board but Stouffer's frozen Mac and Cheese is wonderful.)

Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Uroboros
I haven't been making a roux. I'll give that a shot. I like the cream of mushroom soup idea, too. I generally do this when I'm making baked mac and cheese.

Mac and cheese, in a casserole dish, covered with cheddar and baked until the cheddar is a little brown on top

Alternate:

cooked mac noodles, still hot, pour in a cup and a half or so of shredded cheddar and stir until the cheese melts, pour into the dish quickly and top with cheese, bake as prescribed. This method will create a macaroni brick, however (I still love cheese, so it's kay).

Old 09-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
JCCS
Make your roux, (butter and flour), add cheese of your liking (I prefer cheddar and romano) and milk, that has already been said. My secret is to add a touch of cayenne pepper, not enough to spice it, even enough to be able to identify it as cayenne, it sets it off.

Chris

Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
WJS Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
(I know this is a terrible thing to say on a recipe board but Stouffer's frozen Mac and Cheese is wonderful.)

Don't be ashamed, Stouffer's Mac and Cheese rocks! Great bachelor food when I'm deployed. I like to cook it until the cheese gets brown and crispy around the edges. mmmmmmmmmmm

Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Add a teaspoon of grain mustard to cheese sauce - adds greatness!

Blenders help too.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!