Selling at shows - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
HyderHouseHerps
Selling at shows

We're going to be selling at a reptile show late this year, which I believe does NOT have an ATM on site. I was wondering besides cash, what other forms of payment do you accept without totally inconveniencing buyers?
I'm guessing there's also usually no type of phone lines or internet access to process credit cards either.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
garweft
Check and make sure the venue isn't a hotspot. Might be able to take CC thru paypal if it is. Or if you have a phone with internet access you can let someone post payment through your phone if you want.

Some vendors take CC thru different services either over the phone, or via a hand held devise. But that's not really worth getting one for 1-2 shows a year. I do 15 shows or so a year and don't bother with one myself. Other than that you can take the risk on checks if you want, I don't myself but some do.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
HyderHouseHerps
Yea I don't really want to take checks. I wouldn't even mind getting a terminal but I thought they had to be hooked up to a phone line to dial in. I will check out the hot spot thing, although I doubt there is one nearby. I DO have a blackberry though. So that might be an option. I was just curious. I also may look into some type of mobile internet device and what that would cost. The show here is tiny.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
SnakeEyesExotics
Hi Cindy!

We usually just take cash, but I have done the paypal thru my cell phone at some recent shows. That works out pretty good as long as the payment is instant. We have taken a check or two in the past and had pretty good luck, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. My trust for people has diminished since then, lol! Are you gonna be doing the Memphis Repticon show in October? We were going to try and make it to the show this past weekend, but got busy with the move. I heard it wasn't that great though.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
HyderHouseHerps
Yea I wanted to do this one but they came so early in the year we don't have many babies to sell and I had to work anyways so I'm glad they're coming back. I talked to some people that went and they said it was smaller than last year (and I thought last year was kinda small). But we also had floods so I think that played a part in people not being able to make it. Hope to see you there

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Ron Billingsley
Cash is always king. But tons of people want to use CC at shows.
Never take Checks! For me, only about 1 in 10 are any good. So I stopped taking them years ago.
For CC, I use my iphone! There are numerous apps now that you can get that you can process CC with. I love it.
In the past 6 weeks, I've done thousands of dollars with of transactions with it. Heck, I've had customers buy something just so they could use the iphone!

But you are correct, most show venues do not have phone lines or Wi Fi to use computers or POS (point of sale terminals). I believe cell phone apps are the way to go.

Good Luck.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
SoCal Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Billingsley View Post
Cash is always king. But tons of people want to use CC at shows.
Never take Checks! For me, only about 1 in 10 are any good. So I stopped taking them years ago.
For CC, I use my iphone! There are numerous apps now that you can get that you can process CC with. I love it.
In the past 6 weeks, I've done thousands of dollars with of transactions with it. Heck, I've had customers buy something just so they could use the iphone!

But you are correct, most show venues do not have phone lines or Wi Fi to use computers or POS (point of sale terminals). I believe cell phone apps are the way to go.

Good Luck.
I know this post is 6 months old, but what app are you using? Did you have to get a payment gateway too?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!