2011 cateater python (burm x rock) - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #31
reticguy76
you have to be very careful though, when acquiring or selling hybrids.

its very important to get proper documentation first. if none can be provided, you either be ready to hear opinions of what it might be or, as harald said, advertise that you obtained it as a cateater, but many opinions have felt its a rock.

this is why i generally do not like the hybrid stuff (although, cateaters and bateaters are just wicked cool to me)

paperwork and see the parents if neither can be provided, either get it or advertise it as is (but with a disclaimer) or ask opinions and keep the animal

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #32
unlimitedfeeders
Quote:
I am at a bit of a disadvantage here because, while I have a fair amount of experience with African rocks, I haven't had one in my care for 7-8 yrs. That said, in looking at the pics posted, I see a few things that seem a little off...but not necessarily enough to discount natural aberrancies. Couple that with having only seen a few pics of cateaters, and I am in no position to offer an opinion on this particular snake.

I mean no disrespect to the people that stated they think this snake is a pure rock, but this isn't as simple as disputing whether something is a boa or a ball python (or correcting that their sunglow appears to be just an albino). I've seen people that were advertising a jungle carpet change their ad to jungle/diamond cross based on the opinion of a person that looked at the pictures...and I liken this situation to that. I'm all for honesty in advertising, so I understand not wanting to misrepresent the snake....but just randomly changing the label - ESPECIALLY with a possible hybrid - isn't the way to do it (IMO). Be open about the situation...nothing wrong with stating that you acquired the snake as a cateater, but some people have expressed that they think it might just be a rock python. Full disclosure - no opening for criticism (except by the people that just want to jump on the hybrid issue).

Regarding the picture of the cateater - I once had a rock that was very similar in appearance to that snake. I know it wasn't a cateater, because he was a fresh import...though I suppose somebody could have released a burm in Africa, which then grew up to produce that snake . Would it be appropriate for me to call that rock a cateater, simply because he looked like a picture I saw? What if I were to contact champ641, and tell him that his cateater is only a rock - because it looks just like a WC rock I owned? What would people think if champ then changed the label on his cateater just because I said it looked like a rock? What if champ then posted in a BOI thread about the breeder that sold him the cateater - stating that the breeder ripped him off by selling a plain ol' rock python as a cateater?

you have a good point herald, I just removed the ad so i could do more research on the snake. but when it gets relist i was going to let everyone know what i bought the snake as and then what everyone else thought the snake was after i got it... I am not to worried if it is an pure rock or a hybrid. It just got thrown in to make a good deal a better deal on some ball pythons i was buying... I dont keep this type of snake that is the reason for listing it for sale.... The guy i got it from is not the breeder of the snake just someone who keeps snakes as pets and once he found out how big it is supposed to get and his wife making him get rid of his snakes i ended up with it. The local breeder he said he got it from has a bad rep for mislabeling things he sells. I knew you all would know alot more about the snake than i would be able to find out on the internet. so thanks for the help.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #33
jimmy62alan
cateaters????

has anyone got any idea of how much these Cateaters go for, I cant seem to find any on sale in the UK
ALAN
Sheffield S25

Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #34
jimmy62alan
Afrock pics to compare to the postings pic's

the postings pic's has a similar pattern to my but I can't say for definate
ALAN
Sheffield S25 2RN
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
Utta
That looks like a normal afrock to me.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #36
jimmy62alan
yeah mines a normal but the posting snake is different to mine, I wonder if you get different patterns weather you use a male or female Rock pythons or vice versa for the burms for that matter. Theres also the different rocks as well that will make a difference I think the Afrock and Indirock being different colours and patterns. But no matter what these snakes are awsome, My Afrock is only about 12moths and just over 7ft long and he's great he's going into shed at the moment so giving him regular baths. He never wants to come out thou lol.
ALAN

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!