Retirement.. - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #51
Jerry_c_62
Point Taken.

However, some of the things Rich has said after that last paragraph in the original post make me wonder.

I totally understand the desire to hop in the car and pick a direction and go. No real destination or time table, I wish I could. I can also appreciate the desire to not have "live animals" that depend on YOU to keep them that way. It seems to me though, that much of what Rich is looking forward to is not really all that compatable with what he does around here as the WebSlave (aka Big Meanie).

I would think that after letting go of your business of 30 years, and really getting a taste of having no real responsibilities, then having to deal with some of the childish anticks that go on around here some times, might get real old, real fast.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #52
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
having to deal with some of the childish anticks that go on around here some times, might get real old, real fast.

I'd think it's already old.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #53
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
Point Taken.

However, some of the things Rich has said after that last paragraph in the original post make me wonder.

I totally understand the desire to hop in the car and pick a direction and go. No real destination or time table, I wish I could. I can also appreciate the desire to not have "live animals" that depend on YOU to keep them that way. It seems to me though, that much of what Rich is looking forward to is not really all that compatable with what he does around here as the WebSlave (aka Big Meanie).

I would think that after letting go of your business of 30 years, and really getting a taste of having no real responsibilities, then having to deal with some of the childish anticks that go on around here some times, might get real old, real fast.
True.... But here I have capable moderators to handle things while I am gone, so I CAN walk away for a good stretch of time, and the site won't die while I am gone. Entirely different kettle of fish.....

Of course, some things may have to wait that only I can do here, and emails remain unanswered for the duration (or I can simply point the emails to one of the moderators who would be willing to take on that chore), but I seriously doubt anyone here will die because of that.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #54
Wolfy-hound
Not to mention, almost everywhere has internet access now. So it's not as if by going on vacation, Webslave can't access the site.

Maybe while you're out wandering, you could drop in on herp society meetings as surprises! That would be cool!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #55
WebSlave
Well, yeah... I will always have my laptop with me, if for no other reason than it has the GPS capability I know I'm going to be needing in our travels.

And as long as I can get into a wireless network zone, I'll be able to access the internet.

As for dropping in on herp society meetings, who the heck would care to have a has-been corn snake breeder there? When I told them my name, most would just say "Who??" I didn't get famous from this stuff. I have NEVER walked into a McDonald's and had anyone recognize me and give me a free happy meal or ask for my autograph............. Matter of fact, I have only once run into anyone outside of this little sphere of interest that recognized my name. And that was many years ago when I used to frequent the usenet group for Jeeps.

So no, I never have had the misconception that I rose up from being a nobody to being a somebody simply because I bred cornsnakes for a living. It's only a very small group of people that would recognize my name, all things considered.

As for me mentioning that I am "WebSlave", hell in some circles that might get me shot.........

Old 05-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #56
Jerry_c_62
I total understand the distinction between any cyber community and living, breathing animals. Did not intend to equate them at all.

Now about this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
As for me mentioning that I am "WebSlave", hell in some circles that might get me shot.........
If just using the term "WebS****" can get someone shot I think we need to know what these circles are, so if we find ourselves in one we are REALLY CAREFUL about what we say. After all when we start talking reptiles, you never know what is going to slip or where.

Lest someone get confused and mistake one of us for you. You already told us that you have only been recognized by one person outside of a small circle. How would most of the world know that we are not you??

Old 05-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #57
crotalusadamanteus
A place like this can make you some enemies. People don't like it when they get brought public, and like it even less when they demand it's removed, and it stays for ever.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #58
HappyHillbilly
Rich,
I wish you & Connie an easy transition, hoping things go well for ya'll.

Even though I'm 10yrs younger than you I can relate to the eye-opening experience you had in April. If you've taken the time to look back I'm sure you've seen there were other signs leading you to make your decision. I think you've made the right decision.

Even though you may never be given a Happy Meal, you will soon be able to enjoy a Senior Discount.

Ya'll have earned your wings. Enjoy your flight.

Catch ya later!
Mike
(HH)

Old 05-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #59
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
As for dropping in on herp society meetings, who the heck would care to have a has-been corn snake breeder there? When I told them my name, most would just say "Who??" I didn't get famous from this stuff. I have NEVER walked into a McDonald's and had anyone recognize me and give me a free happy meal or ask for my autograph............. Matter of fact, I have only once run into anyone outside of this little sphere of interest that recognized my name. And that was many years ago when I used to frequent the usenet group for Jeeps.

So no, I never have had the misconception that I rose up from being a nobody to being a somebody simply because I bred cornsnakes for a living. It's only a very small group of people that would recognize my name, all things considered.

Very humble words from a very humble man, but you are no has-been or a nobody, so please don't sell yourself so short. In my opinion you shine, sir. You did a lot for this hobby in so many ways and you did it a lot better than most folks could ever dream of doing. Your efforts here alone have saved so many folks that your name should be recognized and appreciated by anyone in this hobby.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #60
Jerry_c_62
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical bill View Post
Very humble words from a very humble man, but you are no has-been or a nobody, so please don't sell yourself so short. In my opinion you shine, sir. You did a lot for this hobby in so many ways and you did it a lot better than most folks could ever dream of doing. Your efforts here alone have saved so many folks that your name should be recognized and appreciated by anyone in this hobby.

What he said.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!