Reticulated With Care - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-24-2005, 08:34 PM   #11
Laura Fopiano
So sorry Michael

it really pisses me off when careless shop keepers put there animals on a raffle table to become someones pet, only to loose them 12 days later. Grrrrrrrr!!! Rest in peace little Jonesy,and watch over other snakes for us.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:54 AM   #12
Junkyard
He will be an awesome guarding angle snake. He is very watchful.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #13
futureherpbreeder
hey michael,
nice job with the unfortunate one. i should have pics up and running for you soon. i got a new mega pixel digital cam for xmas. i just dont know how to get them into this site? any tips?
thanks,

josh

Old 12-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #14
Karen Hulvey
I'm so sorry. This thread started off great and then he died!
Why, oh why do people do this to animals. He probably wasn't strong enough to overcome the severe dehydration and whatever else he was subjected to before you got him. You did everything you could and he was looking very, very pretty. It was a shock to find out that he died.

I got a trinket snake at an auction in that same condition this past April. When he came up to be auctioned they just called him a rat snake, didn't even know what kind! They started him off at around $30 (I can't remember exactly). No one bid because everyone had looked at the animals before the auction and I did too. He looked much like your retic but had a stuck on shed which made him look like a wrinkled old man and he was so skinny I didn't think he would live through the day. No one bid at $30 and the auctioneer kept lowering the bid. Finally at $12.50 I couldn't take it any more and I bid and won him. I hoped he didn't die before I got him home.

On the way home (3 hour drive) I soaked him in some water and he drank and drank. I still have him and, like you did, I wish I would have documented how bad he looked from the start. He's beautiful now.

Yeah, yeah, I know all about not buying dying animals because it only gives the person selling dying animals money to go out and buy more animals to abuse but this time I couldn't help it. The owner had to lose money on this snake becuase I've never seen a trinket on any wholesale list for under $20 and he had to pay 15% comission and a $1 cage charge to the auction co. But I guess I'm a hypocrit because I've posted a dozen times about not buying animals in this shape because it only perpetuates the problem.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #15
aNTItRUST
So I have just a couple concerns.. (1) The snake pics are of different snakes...then you get into black and white of an apparent dead snake....That would lead me to believe that someone is holding a grudge against someone...I am not pointing a finger, but you did elect to take the snake, if you knew, or thought, something was wrong with it then why not mention it to someone? Why take it and banter someone on line about it. I, personally, am an adult and you seem to know where it came from, have you contacted the spot were it came from to inquire if there was any issues with anything else? Or is it just more exciting to banter someone on line... I am not saying that the spot is completely Innocent in this, but you also inclined that it might not have been a CBB snake, do you know??? And Laura, is it?, sorry if I am wrong, why does it piss you off so bad?? Have you done it before?? Been involved in that type of thing??? Why banter on someone else's word instead of facts?? I have done a lot of purchases with herps and I lose some and some live, it kind of goes with the way the world turns. (i.e. some animals and people live and some don't per say) I just don't see the point in placing the blame somewhere that might not be to blame. I do not mean to offend, rather open another perspective on options...

Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #16
hhmoore
where are you coming up with the notion of two different snakes? as for the rest of your post - did you read the thread? If you had, you would have realized that the only mention of the seller came in response to my questioning. The intent of the thread itself was not to malign anybody, but rather to show a new acquisition...one that had been "won", and selected from other (healthier) choices in an attempt to save it; and to show its progress. Unfortunately, its progress was short lived...hence the black and white "memorial" photos.

Welcome to Fauna, by the way.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #17
aNTItRUST
But again here is a quote iclining the banter "When I am truley satisfied with his health and growth I will be sending them pics and info, along with my thoughts on them pawning off a snake in this condition to someone else." Along with Laura Cox's comments pretty much banter. The idea of 2 different photos comes from my background in photgraphy. Again, my post was not intended to aggrevate, rather open minds to another side of what "might have been" insyead of one persons word. Thanks for the welcome though... I can see how everyone believs the first thing they here instead of putting their own consensus together...

Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #18
jamie_herp08
Micheal,
I just read this post, let me say that i am really sorry for your loss. This has to be one of the saddest posts I have ever read. But what I really wanted to say is that I think you are a great person, most people would've lookes at the green tree python, or whatever it was, and wouldnt've thought twice about a sick little retic. But you tried your best to save the little guy, and for that you have my total respect.
we need more people like you in the world
jamie

Old 01-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #19
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNTItRUST
But again here is a quote iclining the banter "When I am truley satisfied with his health and growth I will be sending them pics and info, along with my thoughts on them pawning off a snake in this condition to someone else." Along with Laura Cox's comments pretty much banter. The idea of 2 different photos comes from my background in photgraphy. Again, my post was not intended to aggrevate, rather open minds to another side of what "might have been" insyead of one persons word. Thanks for the welcome though... I can see how everyone believs the first thing they here instead of putting their own consensus together...
Hey Rob,

I think you are way off base here!! There is no doubt that those are the same snakes, the markings are the same in every photo! Out of the pure concern for the animal Michael decided to take that animal home. Regardless the care of that animal was not up to par before the raffle and for someone to try to "dump" their problem on unsuspecting people is wrong. This is an opinion based forum, which means everyone has the right to express their OPINIONS. If you want to call that banter, that is your opinion. I am truly sorry if you have had that many problems with reptiles that you expect it to be a part of life, but I expect it to be a rarity in my animals and would have said and done the same as Michael.

Keep up the good work Michael, hey Laura keep up that banter!!!!

Old 01-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #20
aNTItRUST
Wink

Thanks for proving my point Will, you just proved that their are more children in the "professional Herp world" then adults. If the animal was not up to par then why take it? Why not report it to the person in charge of the raffle. It goes back to my point is there something personal against who put the snake up? How do YOU know that there was not a perfectly good snake taken and the one pictured is different? You don't, you go off of the word of others. I merely pointed out that there is 2 sides to every story. And if you look closely one is nearly a lavender retic and one is orange and the pixelation is way different, but then again, it does not matter because the negative opinions have already been formed. So in that case, Laura "keep up that banter!!!!" because we are in an adult world here.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!