Ball Python Breeding Loan Fraud - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Ball Python Breeding Loan Fraud

Chris is a great guy. I hate to see him have to deal with a situation like this and I sincerely hope he gets his money back and the scammer is justly punished.
Kudos to Chris for getting on that plane and taking care of business.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

MONCURE -- It's the first case of snake fraud that Maj. Gary Blankenship of the Chatham County Sheriff's Office has seen in his 25 years in law enforcement.

Robert Penny, 33, of 149 Haley Meadows Drive in Moncure was arrested Wednesday on a charge of felonious obtaining property by false pretenses, Blankenship said. He was released from custody on a $1,000 unsecured bond.

Chris Simone, who runs a ball python breeding business in San Jose, Calif., said he wired Penny $18,000 in March to buy one ball python and rent others for breeding in an arrangement similar to a stud service.

The purchased python showed up, but the others never did.

Penny could not be reached for comment.

Simone said in a phone interview Thursday that he also sent Penny 26 of his own female snakes for breeding with some of Penny's males as part of the agreement. But he couldn't get Penny to return them, he said.

He finally took a flight to Raleigh and showed up on Penny's doorstep at 8:30 a.m. one Sunday in June.

Penny was "pretty shocked" to see him, Simone said.

He got his snakes back, but he said they had not been bred and looked neglected. Seven of the snakes, worth $1,000 to $2,000 each, died during the overnight trip home.

Simone said he still hasn't gotten his money back. He called the Sheriff's Office last week.

"I've tried in a friendly and professional manner to find ways to remedy the situation, but he chose to ignore me, and this is the consequence," Simone said.

Link to story (and photo of Penny)

Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Cat_72
WOW, that really sucks for Chris, but like you said, you have to give him credit for hopping on a plane and doing something about it. It's nice to see law enforcement has actually stepped in too!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
critical bill
Gotta love road trips!!

Old 11-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
LadyOhh
I'm sure this isn't the first time something like this has happened, but it's good to see that things are getting handled and that people are now more aware.

Justice!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
NorthamExotics
Let this stand as a warning to any and all who attempt to commit fraud or theft on any level within the hobby..... we need to police this thing as a group whenever possible. The BOI is only the first step...

-Jason Northam

Old 11-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
sirenofthestorm
outside link to the story is broken for me.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
The story has been moved on the source website. That's the main reason we copy the text here. Many newspaper sites move current stories to archives after a short while and you have to pay something to access the archives.

I searched around and found a brief report including picture on the Chatham Sherrif's website. The link to it is http://www.chathamsheriff.com/press/2005/11-3-05b.htm
It is likely not a permenant link either.

I'll attach the photo to this post too, that's probably what most peopl elooking for the link want to see.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!