Signature waiver...how the heck??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Cat_72
Signature waiver...how the heck???

OK, so I have called Fedex in the past to insure that for whatever reason, they do NOT have me listed as any kind of "signature waiver" or release on file for deliveries to me, and I was assured there was NOT.

I got a delivery today, (my new lavender corn from Rich, YAY!), my son collected it directly from the driver, but said he was not asked to sign for it. Our latest Fedex driver is great, he even brings Milkbones for the yard dog, lol.....so I found it odd that he was not asked to sign for it. I reviewed the "delivery confirmation" email I got from Fedex, and it says....

Our records indicate that the following shipment has been delivered:

Tracking number: 790963798461
Ship (P/U) date: Jun 20, 2006
Delivery date: Jun 21, 2006 13:01 PM
Sign for by: Signature Release on file
Delivered to: Residence
Service type: FedEx Priority Overnight
Packaging type: Your Packaging
Number of pieces: 1
Weight: 4.0 LB

What the HECK???? Do we have to start calling them on a monthly, weekly, DAILY basis to make sure they aren't putting one of these releases on our file, or what? I have never authorized this, and you would think that my calling and making certain that there was no such release on file would be assurance that there actually isn't one! Thank goodness there were no problems with the snake, he arrived healthy and more than ready to jump out of the bag....but what if there WOULD have been a problem? How can a person prevent this from being put on their file???

Old 06-21-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
The signature waiver has to do with them leaving a package at your door unattended.
It also has to do with policies that were changed in recent months.
Used to FedEx required a signature by default, they were the only one of the three that did. If you happened to not be home, the package was left on the truck and redelivered until someone was there to sign. If you had a release on file, they would leave it at the door.
Now a signature is no longer a default requirement. The shipper has to request a signature as they do with the other companies.

Until the policy change, if you weren't home and had the release on file then they left the package. If you were home you signed regardless of a release or not. Now the signature requirement is up to the shipper.
I figure the change was to shave some time off the delivery schedule and cut some costs somewhere along the line.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
DAND
I can't find it right now but I read somewhere that getting a signature is an additional cost.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
The BoidSmith
I try not to mess around with the waiver. Whenever there's a chance I might not hear the doorbell when they deliver (for example from the reptile breeding facility) I leave a sign taped to the door with my signature. The sign states simply "please leave the package at the doorsteps" or "please leave the package in the garage" (and I leave the door open), depending on the weather. Sometimes they will take that sheet of paper with them but they invariably leave the package. As Clay states they probably don't want to have to come back again if they can avoid it, as much as I don't want the package to be cruising needlessly around town either.

Regards.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Cat_72
I did some more research on the Fedex site, and it seems that IS the case, the sender must specify they need the package signed for, and it does cost a small fee.

So, how does this affect the VERY common guarantee given, that "live arrival is only guaranteed if someone actually receives the package on delivery"?? If something HAD gone wrong with this shipment and the snake had not arrived alive, how do we prove that we actually received it directly from the driver, and it was not left sitting on our doorstep for 4 hours in 100 degree temps? If that is the way the seller's guarantee is written, do you think they be responsible for sending it "signature required"?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
DAND
I would guess one would need to request the seller to request the signature upon arrival and pay the additional fee. If they do not and you have this correspondence then you may have some recourse.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Mike Greathouse
As a shipper, I can't imagine anyone not specifically wanting a signature on the delivery of a live animal. The $2.00 charge is cheap insurance and offers the peace of mind that the animal was actually put into someone's hands.

If the shipper is unwilling to do this, I would seriously question doing business with them in the first place.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Cat_72
I agree, Mike. I just wonder how many are actually aware of this change in policy.....I know I sure wasn't. I will be sure to mention it from now on to anyone I am buying from.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
DAND
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
As a shipper, I can't imagine anyone not specifically wanting a signature on the delivery of a live animal. The $2.00 charge is cheap insurance and offers the peace of mind that the animal was actually put into someone's hands.

If the shipper is unwilling to do this, I would seriously question doing business with them in the first place.
Those who wouldn't offer it would definitely be on my questionable list.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!