The truth about Blue tegus!! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #41
SiscoReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
http://thetegu.com/postx5203-0-0.html

So you agree it was a small group of animals?
I have always agreed that the original 'blues' that Ron obtained where limited in number. I think I recall Ron saying it was a dozen, a small quantity. You claim it was six. I have heard people say from 6 to 12. I have no idea exactly how many he originally obtained.

Rick

Old 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #42
SiscoReptiles
Bobby, you state that blue tegus are spam_spam_spam_spam_spam_rianae. Now why are blue tegus born almost black without the typical green head of all other known regional spam_spam_spam_spam_spam_rianae?

Let's take this is a new direction, just for the sake of discussion...

What is the blue tegu IS the melanistic version of the spam_spam_spam_spam_spam_rianae?

That would explain why, if blues are spam_spam_spam_spam_spam_rianae, that they are born without the green heads. Just food for thought for anyone who is actually interested and open-minded. Now I am not saying this is fact, it's just a thought.

I am interested in other peoples feedback.

Rick

Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #43
SiscoReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiscoReptiles
What is the blue tegu IS the melanistic version of the spam_spam_spam_spam_spam_rianae?
Typo:

What IF the blue tegu IS the melanistic version of the spam_spam_spam_spam_spam_rianae?

Rick

Old 10-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #44
varnyard
Well maybe they are nothing more than what Ron called them to start with, these few came from Colombia is what Ron claims, and he calls them Tupinambis teguixin. Tupinambis teguixin also do not have green heads as hatchlings.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #45
SiscoReptiles
Quote:
Well maybe they are nothing more than what Ron called them to start with, these few came from Colombia is what Ron claims, and he calls them Tupinambis teguixin. Tupinambis teguixin also do not have green heads as hatchlings.
That would be hard since the scalation meristics are no where near T.teguixin.

The topic has the operatunity to actually go into the direction of constructive discussion. Anyone else interested in offering opinions or thoughts?

Rick

Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #46
varnyard
Have you done a scalation count on both of them? I mean both of them are smaller then the Argentines as well.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #47
Wilomn
It could also be an inability inherant in only a small number of tegus, regaurdless of origin, to produce green pigment. That does not make them anything other than tegus that don't make green. Not albinos, not blues, not snows.

Yellow and green make blue. What if not all tegus make yellow?

I don't know enough about tegus.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #48
Lucille
Quote:
, also D3 cannot be used to substitued for UV lighting. Tegus require UV, there is no way around that due to the studies I have done.

Bobby, could you please post here, or PM me, with your cites to your research? I've been trying to find conclusive evidence to whether dietary D3 can substitute for UV.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #49
varnyard
http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541

You cannot substitute D3, the link above has the information I think you are looking for Lucille, let me know if you need more information.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #50
Lucille
Thanks for the link Bobby.
There are foods for people that are supplemented with the D vitamins, milk, for instance.
I am not necessarily disagreeing with what you are saying but I would like some pointers to scientific studies showing that dietary D3 is not an adequate substitute for sunlight, rather than anecdotal evidence. I tried to research that myself but as far as research done with reptiles, I'm having a hard time finding proof, help me out here?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!