Giant tegu!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Most don't, but these are the true Chacoan giants, they are the largest of all the tegus.

As for the age, I don't know exactly how old he is, but I would think around five years old.
Strictly for the sake of ensuring accurate information is avaliable; some time after this thread was started and the quoted post was made, it became evident that nobody in the states who has tegus they are calling "Chacoan" can actually prove the origin of their animals. Bobby's animals may or may not be chacoan in origin, the size and visual traits may or may not be genetically passed on to their offspring- but the next few years will be very interesting, at least with regards to the size, as the little guys he has produced begin to reach adulthood.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
varnyard
Yea OK there Seamus, you are now an expert of tegu genetics, correct?

I would not look for them to be too dwarfed, looking at them as being much larger than any of the other tegus even as eggs and adults.

16 grams normal/higher white/white heads as compared to the Giants at 26 grams.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
shrap
Quote:
No, Seamus is just another in a long line of egomaniacs with an over inflated sense of self worth.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
dorton
Wow,Bobby!!! Thats not only an massive tegu, the egg is nearly twice the size of a normal's!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
Seamus Haley
Quote:

I would not look for them to be too dwarfed, looking at them as being much larger than any of the other tegus even as eggs and adults.

16 grams normal/higher white/white heads as compared to the Giants at 26 grams.
Bobby, a big egg is, first and foremost, an indication that it was laid by a big, well fed female. The reasons for a big girl or a big egg are, as of right now, a list of potential causes. It *could* be a genetic absolute, it could be a genetic tendency, it could be a visible expression of a physiological condition that isn't inheritable. You haven't got any "giant" adults that you produced to watch the growth rates and eventual adult size of in order to draw the conclusions you apparantly have. Or... at least the conclusions and absolutes that you are using as advertising for this line.

The same unknowns are applicable to your contention- which I did note was pre-revelation and public spread of the animal's backgrounds in that recent BOI thread- that these are "true chacoans"

Quote:
Seamus is just another in a long line of egomaniacs with an over inflated sense of self worth
I'm not sure if it's OVER inflated, I think it's mostly pretty justifiable, but then if I am an egomaniac I would think that, wouldn't I?

In this case though, it's really just a question of complete and accurate information. I like it. The more complete and the more accurate, the more I like about it. Half truths, suppositions and assumptions put forth as truths... these bother me on some levels. Even more so when it's done as a result of a poor attempt to convince me that a sales pitch is supposed to be educational.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #16
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
Half truths, suppositions and assumptions put forth as truths... these bother me on some levels.
Then much of the crap you spew from your keyboard must bother you then.... on some levels.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
varnyard
Yes, Seamus, your right Big egg/ aka Giant, Big female/ aka Giant and Big daddy/ aka Giant.

I take it you can't do the math, but claim to be so educated.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #18
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Yes, Seamus, your right Big egg/ aka Giant, Big female/ aka Giant and Big daddy/ aka Giant.

I take it you can't do the math, but claim to be so educated.
I can "do the math" Bobby, but "the math" isn't as simple as you seem to think it is. You have, in your posession, a group of exceptionally large animals. You don't know where the individual animals are from and barely know their captive history. There are far, FAR too many unknown factors for you to make the firm statements that you have made regarding their origin. The items you have presented as evidence are interesting and possibly indicative of the conclusions you have drawn, but not conclusively so.

Diet, environment, genetic predisposition, age... all factors that are easily identified as being related to the size of an animal and you seem to have ignored or excluded all except the one that leads to the conclusion you desire.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #19
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
I can "do the math" Bobby, but "the math" isn't as simple as you seem to think it is. You have, in your posession, a group of exceptionally large animals. You don't know where the individual animals are from and barely know their captive history. There are far, FAR too many unknown factors for you to make the firm statements that you have made regarding their origin. The items you have presented as evidence are interesting and possibly indicative of the conclusions you have drawn, but not conclusively so.

Diet, environment, genetic predisposition, age... all factors that are easily identified as being related to the size of an animal and you seem to have ignored or excluded all except the one that leads to the conclusion you desire.
I can do the math too, Seamus = Troll.

Unless you have proof to back up something you know nothing about. You are trolling because you do not like me, and you are a nobody in the reptile world. Sorry, but that is the true facts no matter how it is added up, and it don't take an self proclaimed educated troll to add that one up.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #20
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Unless you have proof to back up something you know nothing about. You are trolling because you do not like me, and you are a nobody in the reptile world. Sorry, but that is the true facts no matter how it is added up, and it don't take an self proclaimed educated troll to add that one up.
Proof Bobby? Proof? What exactly would you want ME to provide proof of? I asked questions and pointed out unknowns, they are inherently the opposite of proof. You are the one who has made statements that you are unable or unwilling to even evidence, much less prove conclusively. As to knowing nothing about it... Well, I do not keep tegus personally, haven't in years and never produced any. I do understand reptile biology though, apparantly a damn sight better than you do given your inability to comprehend even the basic concepts which have been presented to you as questions. I'm not "trolling because I don't like you" I don't know you and have no opinion about you as an individual- I've got very strong opinions about truthful representation of animals though and opened this thread because another had piqued my awareness of your faults in that department.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!