My Tegu Enclosure(s) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Toby_H
My Tegu Enclosure(s)

This past summer I built an 8’ long, 3’ deep and 3.5’ tall Tegu enclosure that doubles as a stand for a 6’ long, 18” deep, 21” tall 125 gal aquarium. The enclosure/stand is built to allow the aquarium to be upgraded to an 8’ x 2’ x 2’ 240 gal (one of these days…)

The left side of the enclosure has a 30” x 12” @ 6” deep filtered water ‘dish’. I use an aquarium heater to keep the water around 85~88*F. This helps a lot with humidity and I rarely but occasionally catch my Tegu soaking in it. He drinks from this ‘dish’ fairly often, though I also mist him and commonly saturate his mulch.

Speaking of mulch, There is 9~12" of Cypress Mulch spread across the entire enclosure.

The 5’ x 9” shelf on the back wall has a 4’ fixture for a florescent UVB bulb, though it was not in at the time of that picture. This bulb sits 12” above the substrate putting it even closer to my Tegu (when basking)

I use 100W incandescent ‘day light’ bulbs to create heat shining on the wooden flat to the right. The heat and UVB overlap but not entirely. This allows the Tegu to bask in heat, UVB, or both…

I also feed on this area where it is very easy to keep mulch away from the food dish. The shelf can easily be removed and cleaned.

He has hollowed out the area beneath the board to be used as a hide. This works fine but I need to get him a “cool hide” on the other side of the enclosure.

I went with swinging instead of sliding doors. This was to increase ease of access to the enclosure. They are framed with hardwood around ¼” tempered glass. I still need to stain the block under the doors in the center, but here’s an add-on since the pics above.

The enclosure is a 2x4 reinforced frame. It is built very solid as it holds a large aquarium. Without the aquarium a 2x2 frame would be plenty.

It is shelled with ½" Plywood. The exterior has been carefully sanded and stained. It took a lot of work but I am very impressed with the finished product (I’m not very good / experienced with staining).

The interior is ‘painted’ with Drylok. It was tinted “forest green” for the back & sides walls and tinted brown for the shelves & water ‘dish’.

I was amazed at how fast an 8’ enclosure filled up when making areas for such a large lizard.

My second floor outdoor balcony has also been “Tegu proofed” and is used as an outdoor enclosure on warm days.

He has a 4’ x 2’ x 2’ enclosure with mulch on the balcony whose door is always open. This gives him somewhere to burrow to escape the sun or to sleep through the night. This was his ‘grow out’ enclosure I used for his first 16~18 months.

He doesn’t like the Formica as much as a wood floor, but it keeps his waste from falling on my neighbors below.

I’ll post pics of my 49.5”, 12 pound, 27 month old Tegu in a day or two when he wakes up (I hate winter!)

Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Toby_H
Oh, and here's the Tegu...

49.5" @ 12 lbs...

...and after an evening of posing, he puts himself to bed...

Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Chico Reptiles
Nice set up! Seems like he runs the place, lol.

I wish I could let ol' red run around like that, but he likes to fight the dogs!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
Heart4Dragonz
Very awesome cage, tegu, and owner

Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
BigTattoo
Awesome enclosure, well thought out and executed. You have skills Toby.

Your tegu is a beast, I love him.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Toby_H
I hate taking pics almost as much as I hate downloading them, saving them, then uploading them... But after a lot of poking and proding I took a few... so here ya go...

'08 male Varnyard Black & White Argentinean Tegu @ 50" long @ 10lbs -

Waking up...

Morning bath...

Getting ready for work...

Kisses goodbye...

Afternoon nap...

Cleaning house...

And finally getting back to bed...

Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Sonni
awsome tegu i plan on purchaceing one soon. your set up will help decide how to make mine

Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Toby_H
Thanks Matt! If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
herpgirl2510
Those pictures are great I love tegus I can't wait to watch mine grow up.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
bunke10
That is awesome! What a healthy, happy, and LUCKY tegu! I love your setup! Thanks for sharing!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!